logo

English

Travel Climb of Mt. Whitney, 2016 #1

2017.04.25 07:56

운영자 Views:14194

Climb of Mount Whitney, Sierra Nevada Range

Lone Pine, California

August 14-16, 2016

Mount Whitney had been in my mind for a long time. Right after the climb of Mt. McKinley (20,310') in 1979, a few friends from the McKinley climb invited me for a climb of Whitney. With the glory of McKinley, then, I thought it was not much of a challenge and not worthy enough to spend my professional time in my busy medical practice. In 1990, during the climb of Cerro Aconcagua (22,841'), I met Marty Schmidt*, a professional guide (MS International Guiding) from New Zealand, who offered me a guided rock climbing of the east face of Mt. Whitney in the next summer. I was interested in his plan but it fell through due to lack of enough climbers.

*Note: Marty Schmidt died in K2 in a fatal avalanche in 2013 with his son. I have a special feeling on him as he could have been the guide for Mt. Everest for me. Our relationship was kept on till 1992 but ended as I decided to give up big mountain expeditions. I added a webpage about his death written by Phil Taylor. It is a really well written report including some philosophies of the hardcore Mountain climbers. The webpage that I composed is at: http://www.snuma.net/xe/index.php?mid=freeboard&document_srl=57196

As I was getting older, I realized that even the fouteeners in Colorado were not as easy as I used to think. Even though I have summited a few fourteeners without any failures in the first attemps, I came to realize that the fourteeners were not easy any more. My old age brought me a renewed respect to Mt. Whitney at 14,508'.

On my 70th birthday, I climbed Mt. Lincoln (14,295') and Bross (14,172') with relative ease. That event brought me a vague but brazen hope that it would be monumental to celebrate my 80th birthday at the summit of Mt. Whitney. To be true, it would be "monumental" if I succeed, but "stupid" if I fail. Anyway, as I was getting older, the question arose if I would be able to pull off such thing at that future age of mine. But I kept my personal hope and kept training myself to stay fit for the occasion.

In the late spring of 2016, Ben Choi of Las Vegas called me and said he, by an Internet lotto, got the climbing permit for Mount Whitney for August of 2016.  As I had no trouble climbing the fourteeners in Colorado then, I thought I would try it before things get too late for the Whitney summit. So, I said, "Let's do it while we can !" A team was made with 4 classmates (KG55) of my high school including me. Each of us were to train hard for the Whitney climb during the summer months of 2016.

So, this small piece of climbing permit was what started the whole Whitney event in August of 2016. We were lucky to have a "three-day" permit. With it, I knew that we have much better chance of safer and easier climbing schedule for us at the age of 76, and, thus, our chance of successful summit climb would be much better. I designed two nights' camping on the way up to lessen the long continuous climb and to spend enough time for altitude acclimatization for my climbing partners. This little green tag stayed on my backpack during the entire climb and I still have it as a souvenir.

In climbing of Mt. Whitney, we have two different conditions to satisfy. One is the huge length and height of the climb and the other is the complicated bureaucratic rules and regulations. By having learned both conditions, I realized that there are three (or four) choices the climbers can take. I figured this one out only after I climbed the whole thing. There was no one around to tell me before I went there.

1. One-Day plan: Leaving the Whitney Portal early in the morning in the dark, and walk the entire 22-mile round trip and 6,148' vertical up and down, both in a day. This eliminate any camping. This one day permit is easier to come. I guess this is for younger people.

2. Two-Day plan: Sleep at the Trail Camp first day (6 mile/3,640' vertical climbing), and then summit the peak (5-mile/2,508' vertical up) and return all the way (16-mile/6,148 vertical down) to the trailhead on the second day. This may be the best plan for average younger climbers. Most people do this.

3. Three-Day plan: Sleep at Outpost Camp (3.8-mile 2,040 vertical climb) on the first day, and sleep at Trail Camp (2.2-mile 1,600 vertical climb) on the second day, and then climb the summit (5-mile 2,508' vertical climb) and descend all the way down (16-mile/6,148' down) on the third day. This is for old folks.

4. Four-Day plan: Someone said that with 3-Day permit, you can still stay on the Whitney Trail on the fourth day without getting fined or punished (I do not bet my farm on this.), assuming that Rangers may not wake you up to check the permit while you are sleeping in the third night at the Trail Camp. Here, you go Trail Camp-Summit-TrailCamp in one day and Down to the Portal in another day. Therefore, one takes two days (instead of one day) to come down. This is very much doable for handicapped or senior peoples. I hope someday the authorities approve this plan.

Here is the detailed mileage of each step of the climb. This will make your planning much easier.

Whitney Portal 8,360 Ft 0.0 mi (Camping, water, parking, store)
Lone Pine Lake 9,900 Ft 2.8 mi (Camping & Water. No Whitney permit needed.)
Outpost Camp 10,400 Ft 3.8 mi (Camping & water with Whitney permit)
Mirror Lake 10,640 Ft 4.0 mi (Water but no camping)
Trailside Meadow 11,400 Ft 5.0 mi (Water but no camping)
Trail Camp 12,000 Ft 6.0 mi (Camping & water)
Trail Crest 13,700 Ft 8.2 mi (No camping, no water)
Muir Trail Jct 13,480 Ft 8.7 mi (Camping possible nearby. No water)
Summit 14,505 Ft 11.0 mi (Sleep at the hut, No water)

Note: This is what is written in the Internet info but, in reality, it seems that the actual distance in the first leg (Portal-Outpost Camp) may be longer by about two miles (instead of 3.8, it may be 5.8 according to GPS we carried. I heard other people saying the same thing too). If I am right, the total length is 13 miles one way.

Below are selected quotes from the Internet about the mountain and the climbing of it:

Mt Whitney - in the California Sierra Nevada is the highest peak in the continental United States. Reaching an elevation of 14,508 feet, it towers more than 10,000 vertical feet above the Owens Valley, and because of it's lofty position, it is the most sought after peak in all of North America. This fact sends over 30,000 people each year to it's slopes, however, only 10,000 are able to complete the journey on the trail. With over 6,000 vertical feet to gain, I figure that lack of conditioning and/or altitude must be the underlying reason for this somewhat high failure rate.
The permit for Mt. Whitney climb is done by Mt. Whitney Lottery. It is done in March each year.

Mt Whitney was first climbed by Charles Begole, Albert Johnson, and John Lucus. The so called "Fisherman." They completed the summit on August 17, 1873. The first woman to climb Mt Whitney was Mrs. Anna Mills. She completed her summit of Mt Whitney on August 3, 1878.

Mount Whitney can be summited as a day hike or multi-day backpack trip on the classic Mt. Whitney Trail. Located on the eastside of California's beautiful Sierra Nevada Mountains, the trail starts in Inyo National Forest and enters Sequoia National Park, with spectacular views and access to trails that continue deep into the park wilderness. The summit of Mt. Whitney is the southern end of the John Muir Trail. Named for the naturalist, author and early wilderness preservation advocate for preservation of wilderness, the John Muir trail extends more than 200 miles north to reach Happy Isles in Yosemite Valley. Whether you are seeking a one day hiking challenge, an overnight ascent, or beginning the trek of your dreams, climbing Mt. Whitney is sure to be a memorable experience.
Starting at 8,300 feet above sea level at Whitney Portal, the Mt. Whitney Trail gains over 6,200 feet of elevation. The trail is usually snow free from July to late September.

The Whitney Trail in red line. The entire length of 11 miles from the Whitney Portal to the Whitney summit. Total 22 miles round trip with the vertical elevation of 6,130 feet one way. It can be done in a day taking about 12-14 hours. For us, it was two night's camping and we finished the summit and entire descent on the third day.

Another view of the entirity of the Whitney Trail with names of important locations.

Starting from the Whitney Portal, passing Lone Pine Lake, and to the Outpost Camp.

After passing Lone Pine Lake without visiting it, we climbed further toward Outpost Camp.
We set our tents at Outpost Camp for the first night on the Whitney Trail. In order to be successful, we took slow approach for altitude acclimatization and to avoid over-exhaustion.

The map shows general location of Mount Whitney in relation to Bakersfield, CA.

Local map of Owens Valley (the beige colored area in the center) and Mt. Whitney.

The green colored area at left is Sierra Nevada Range and the same green at right is Inyo Range.

The Eastern Sierra Ranger Station that controls Mount Whitney is in Lone Pine. We slept in a hotel in Independence. The  road to Whitney Portal (8,360') starts from the town of Lone Pine (3,727').

Eastern Sierra Inter-agency Visitor Center, at the junction of HWY-395 and SR-136, 760-876-6200

August 13, 2016

Steven and Sukhoon left Laguna Woods for Lone Pine to meet Ben and Jungchul who drove from Las Vegas. After about 4 hour's drive, we met them at the ranger station in Lone Pine. We went through the registration process of picking up the climbing permit. We took a brief tour of Whitney Portal about 11.4 miles away from Lone Pine. Then we drove to Independence 10 miles north of Lone Pine to check in a hotel for the night.

1:42 PM, 8-13-2016: The first view of Mt. Whitney from the Visitor Center in Lone Pine. The high prominent peak at the right 1/3 way of the picture is Lone Pine Peak (12,949 feet) and the Whitney is further right at the edge of the picture. As Mt. Whitney being much further away, it looks less higher.

Under the roof of the ranger station, the farthest triangular peak in the center is the Whitney. Just over the roof is Lone Pine Peak.

Inside of Eastern Sierra Inter-Agency Visitor Center. It was crowded with a lot of climbers and hikers.
We picked up our climbing and parking (at the Whitney Portal) permit, rented bear canisters, and received WAG bag to carry our own solid waste. All of these items are mandatory before the climb.

2:42 PM: Before going to our hotel in the town of Independence, we drove to Whitney Portal just to see.
From the Whitney Portal Highway, the triangular summit of Whitney came to our eyes in the far center.

2:43 PM: A closeup picture of the Mt. Whitney. It looked awesomely far away and high above us.

3:05 PM, 8-13-2016: At the Mt. Whitney Trailhead, officially known as "The Whitney Portal". This may be the only place in U.S. where "trailhead" is called "portal." This is the spot where the first step toward the summit starts. The very beginning of the Mount Whitney Trail. Numerous parking spaces and camp sites are here but they are only for the people who carry special trail permits obtained ahead of time. Being the busiest trailhead among all trailheads in entire Sierra Nevada Range, there are tons of bureaucratic regulations to keep it under control.
At the entrance of the Whitney Trail, we took a picture. From left to right, Jung-Chul Kim of Las Vegas, Suk-Hoon Moon from Laguna Woods, Ben Byungkoo Choi from Las Vegas, Steven Kim from Laguna Woods. We are classmates of a same high school graduated in 1959.

4:18 PM: We drove 10 miles to north to the town of Independence where we reserved our hotel. Rooms in Lone Pine were all sold out long ago. The Winnedumah Hotel in Independence seen from the street.

4:07 PM: "Winnedumah" is a phrase by legendary local Indian tribe, meaning "Stay Right There Where You Are". I am skipping the long Indian story for now. To my disappoitment, the hotel owner was not a local Indian but a Mexican lady whose picture is on the wall of the hotel lounge. We checked in this old-fashioned country hotel for a night.

August 14, 2017

We left one car at the hotel since only one car per team is permitted at the Whitney Portal to park overnight.

From Whitney Portal (8,360'), we started on Whitney Trail. Passing Lone Pine Lake (9,900' 2.8 miles) without stopping by, we climbed up to Outpost Camp (10,400' 3.8 miles) for the first night.

8:48 AM, 8-14-2016, On Whitney Portal Highway. In the right background, are the Needles of Whitney Ridge Crest and the Summit just right to them, partially hidden by a mountain in front.

On the way to the Portal, a full view of the entire Whitney Ridge Crest and the summit.

A flat-top peak as we were getting close to the Whitney Portal.

The north wall of the Whitney Portal. The portal is in a deep valley with tall evergreen forest, surrounded by enormous steep white granite walls. Entire Whitney Massif is made up of whitish (or gray) granite stone.

The Whitney Portal Store across a small pond. It is a general store for the climbers and visitors with fast food, souvenirs, and other last-minute necessities for the climbers.

9:17 AM, 8-14-2016: At the Whitney Portal. Just before climbing the Mt. Whitney Trail, well maintained 11 mile long foot path with 6,148 feet vertical to the summit, from 8, 360 feet to 14, 505 feet. There are many ways of reaching the summit but the Whitney Trail is the easiest way to get there. Can we do it within three day's time? I knew we can probably do it, if all four of us don't get into altitude sickness or any unexpected injuries on the way up.

Suk-Hoon Moon from Laguna Woods, CA

Ben Byungkoo Choi from Las Vegas, NV

Seongsoo Steven Kim from Laguna Woods, CA and also Castle Rock, CO

Jung-Chul Kim from Las Vegas

This spot is where the Whitney Trail starts. Our first steps were taken here.

9:32 AM: The trail lead us up northward on the north wall of the Portal before turning toward west.

The lower valley, climbing through many switchbacks. Lone Pine Lake just beyond the upper ledge.

9:57 AM: The beginning of John Muir Wilderness in the Inyo National Forest. Sukhoon and Jung-Chul.

Steven and Sukhoon. Obviously, Ben was the photographer.

At the entrance of John Muir Wilderness, here's the Hiker Notice board. It explains how to use WAG Bag (or Human Waste Sacks provided by the ranger station) in case one goes for the big one from now on. All solid human waste must be packed out. We have to carry the whole thing in a plastic bag with us until we are out of the Wilderness. Then, we can dispose it at the waste container in Whitney Portal.

12:24 AM: We are crossing the North Folk of Lone Pine Creek. Before coming here, there is another trail going toward the Mountaineer's Route and Whitney East Face. Anyway, when we crossed the wooden boards, we knew we were in the right tract.

Shortly after passing Lone Pine Lake, here is the sign indicating the beginning of "Whitney Zone", meaning that one has to have a valid Whitney Trail permit to enter. Up to this point, you may still come and camp with just Wilderness permit.

12:53 AM: We would be in a deep valley all the time until we reach the Trail Crest 2 days later.

12:56 AM: After passing the Lone Pine Lake, climbing up switchbacks again toward Outpost Camp.

1:07 PM: Awesome valley walls on both sides.

1:08 PM: The valley opened up with view of the Inyo Mountain Range across the Owens Valley. The far range is the west wall of the Death Valley National Park. The Lone Pine Lake (9,900' 4.0 miles) is visible as a bluish lake in the center just over the tree tops.

1:17 PM: The Big Horn Sheep Park (3.5 miles), a wide-open meadow filled with green bushes. This is the creek bed of Lone Pine Creek. The Outpost camp is at left in the further end of this flat area. Thor Peak (12,300') towering in the background.

1:29 PM: A water fall above. We are in Outpost Camp area (10,360' 3.8 miles)

They say a small water fall but it's not small at all. A part of Lone Pine Creek just above Outpost Camp.

3:30 PM: Outpost Camp: 10,400 feet, 3.8 miles from the Portal. We set up the tents and spend the first night here. Most younger climbers pass this camp and sleep at the Trail Camp above at 12,000 feet. But, instead of climbing up to the Trail Camp, we intentionally stopped here for additional altitude acclimatization and preventing over-exhaustion. For us at 76 years of age, we chose slow pace, the essence of successful high altitude climbing.

Sukhoon's one-man tent just beside the main trial.

The green one-man tent is mine. The orange one is for Ben and Jung-Chul.

At my age, setting up the tent, crawing into it, cooking meals on portable burner were no longer my cups of tea but there was no choice. We just had to do them but only for two nights !!

3:33 PM, 8-14-2016: Looking up from our tent site. We will be up there tomorrow to Trail Camp.

Background music: Omar Akram - A Day with You
No. Subject Date Author Last Update Views
Notice How to write your comments onto a webpage [2] 2016.07.06 운영자 2016.11.20 17771
Notice How to Upload Pictures in webpages 2016.07.06 운영자 2018.10.19 31855
Notice How to use Rich Text Editor [3] 2016.06.28 운영자 2018.10.19 5498
Notice How to Write a Webpage 2016.06.28 운영자 2020.12.23 43428
492 어느날 서울 관광; 탑골공원, 익선동, 낙원상가, 교동초등학교, 운현궁 [1] 2023.11.03 온기철*71 2023.11.03 81
491 파타고니아 기행 [10] 2023.03.03 노영일*68 2023.04.25 267
490 시카고 동창회 소식 [2] 2022.12.17 노영일*68 2023.03.16 385
489 Greenland 기행 [3] 2022.08.06 노영일*68 2022.09.07 110
488 Iceland 기행 (2/2) [1] 2022.08.06 노영일*68 2022.09.11 119
487 Iceland 기행 (1/2) [1] 2022.08.06 노영일*68 2022.09.07 118
486 Seoul; the smartest city in the world [2] 2022.08.01 온기철*71 2022.08.04 91
485 The Best Passport to Carry with You [3] 2021.10.05 운영자 2021.10.06 12576
484 Too many Chinese? 2020.08.03 이병붕*63 2020.08.05 71
483 Small tips for the trip to India to the alumni 2020.01.06 이병붕*63 2021.11.01 1014
482 강화도 [1] 2019.11.02 온기철*71 2019.11.03 74
481 하늘공원과 남이섬 [5] 2019.10.30 온기철*71 2019.11.04 119
480 서울고: 서울역사박물관과 경희궁, 독립공원과 서대문형무소 [3] 2019.10.29 온기철*71 2019.11.03 70
479 신안군, 거문도, 백도 [5] 2019.10.20 온기철*71 2019.10.22 202
478 발칸여행 동영상들 2019.05.19 온기철*71 2019.05.19 72
477 Croatia; Dubrovnik [5] 2019.05.17 온기철*71 2019.05.19 126
476 남미 기행 (5) 아르헨티나 2019.04.06 노영일*68 2019.04.06 188
475 남미 기행 (4) 브라질 [2] 2019.04.03 노영일*68 2019.04.07 109
474 남미 기행 (3) 페루 2019.04.01 노영일*68 2019.04.01 115
473 남미 기행 (2) 페루 [2] 2019.03.30 노영일*68 2019.04.07 119