아프리카의 추억, 노래와 함께

Out of Africa

Stay with me till the morning

벨기에의 디바로 통하는 Dana Winner는 아름다운 목소리로 유럽권 및 전 세계적으로
    인지도를 넓혀가고 있고... 우리나라에 소개된 대표곡으로는 Stay With Me Till The Morning
    이라는 곡으로 사랑받고 있으며 두 장의 앨범이 들어와 있지요.
    장대한 아프리카를 배경으로 개성이 강한 두 남녀의 사랑과 삶을 다룬,1985년 아카데미
    최우수작품상 을 비롯 7개 부문을 수상하기도... 절정에 오른 로버트 레드포드와 메릴 스트립의
    연기, 완벽한 연출과 훌륭한 촬영이 나무랄 데 없는 영화. "아웃 오브 아프리카"(Out of Africa)
    에서 주제곡으로 삽입 되었던 Dana Winner가 부른 "Stay with me till the morning"입니다.
    원곡은 `모차르트 클라리넷 협주곡 A장조 K622 아다지오`를 편찬한겁니다.

아침까지 같이 있어주오

- Dana Winner 다나  윈너 -

Dawn breaks above the neon lights
      Soon the day dissolves the night
      Warm the sheets caress
      my emptiness as you leave

새벽이 네온등위로 눈 부셔 옵니다
        머지않어 낮이 밤을 산산히 흩어버리겠지요
        침대를 덥혀주고 그대가 떠나며 남기는
        내 마음의 허공을 애무해 주오

Lying here in the afterglow
      Tears in spite of all I know
      Prize of foolish sin
      I can`t give in
      Can`t you see

환희의 추억에 누워서
        잘 알면서도 흐르는 눈물
        어리석은 죄의 기쁨을
        나는 버릴수 없다는것을
        그대는 모르나요

Though you want to stay
      You`re gone before the day
      I never say those words
      How could I

그대는 머물고 싶겠지만
        낮이 오기전에 당신은 떠나지요
        난 그말들을 못해요
        어떻게 차마 . . .
        아침까지 나와 함께 있어달라는것을

I`ve walked the streets alone before
      Safe I`m locked behind the door
      Strong in my belief
      No joy or grief touches me

길거리를 혼자서 헤멘적도 있었지만
        문뒤에 잠긴채 보호 받으며
        굳건히 자신을 믿는 이제는
        어떤 기쁨이나 슬픔도 나를 흔들지 못합니다

But when you close your eyes
      It`s then I realize
      There`s nothing left to prove
      So darling

그러나 그대가 눈을 감을때
        그러면 그때 나는 깨닫지요
        더 증명해야 될것이 하나도 없다는것을
        그러니 사랑하는 그대여
        아침까지 나와 같이 있어줘요

when you close your eyes
      It`s then I realize
      There`s nothing left to prove
      So darling

그러나 그대가 눈을 감을때
        그러면 그때 나는 깨닫지요
        더 증명해야 될것이 하나도 없다는것을
        그러니 사랑하는 그대여
        아침까지 나와 같이 있어줘요
        아침까지 나와 함께 있어줘요

An abbreviated webpage version - 웝페이지용 축소판

A Memory of Africa
                      by Steven Kim

아프리카의 한 추억      -  김성수

Stephanie of Momella

여기 내 이야기는 영화 "Out of Africa" 를 본사람이면 알기쉬울거다. 영화의 정말 주인공인 Karen Blixen (Meryl Streep)과 Denys George (Robert Redford) 은 이미 이세상을 떠난지 오래되었지만 그 스토리는 아직 나와 같이살고있다. "사랑"의 스토리가 영화의 주제였겠지만 내가 보고 느낀건 다른 방향에서였다.

1988 년 12 월 29일, Mount Kilimanjaro 의 Uhuru Peak 정상에 올랐던 이틀후, 우리 일행은 Nairobi (Kenya)로 돌아가는길에 Arusha (Tanzania) 부근의 Momella지방의 Oldonyorok Lodge 에서 하룻밤을 지냈다. 야생동물이 우글거리는 끝없는 깊은 시골산길로 Four-wheel-drive Land Rover 로 한시간 이상 큰 길에서 떨어진곳이였다. 바로 이 근방에서 "Hatari (John Wayne)" 와 "Out of Africa" 를 찍었다고한다.

그때 이미 나는 미국서 Out of Africa 영화를 본 후였다. 그때 만났던  Lodge (호텔이 아니고 방이 여러개있는 큰집)의 젊은 여주인, Stephanie, 가 바로 영화에 나오는 여주인공 Karen 과 똑같은  현대판 인물이였었고, 우리의 가이드였던 Tom 은 Denys 와 흡사한 인물이였기에, 아직도 영화와 관련해서 그 기억이 생생하다.

Stephanie는 불란서인 아버지와 독일인 어머니사이에 태어나, 그당시 White African (Africa 에 사는 Europe 사람을 의미) 이 되었던 부모와 이근방 Moshi (Kilimanjaro 바로 밑에있는 도시) 에서 학교다니며 컸다. Europe 에도 몇번 돌아갔었지만, Africa 의 매력에 잡혔었는지, 결국 Tanzania 로 다시 돌아와 영주하게 되었다.  그당시 원주민 통치하에 독립된 Africa 공화국들에선 반백인 운동이 한참이였으때다. 영국인 남편이었던 Bert 가 그때 일년전 쯤 경비행기 (영화에 나오는것 같은)사고로 죽고 2 살과 5 살된 아들 둘 데리고 Arusha (지금은 Tanzania 의 수도) 에서 한 100 km 떨어져있는 시골인 Arusha National Park 부근에서 유일한 백인으로 혼자살고있었다.

남편이 죽은후 그녀는 그동안 건설중이던 Lodge 를 혼자서 완성해 그해 봄에 처음으로 열었다. 그녀가 자기 가족이 있는 Europe 의  좋은곳 떠나 가족과 떨어져 왜 여기에 다시 돌아왔는지, 또는 남편을 잃은후 여기서 백인을 적대시하는 흑인들 사이에서 왜 혼자 사는지 나한테는 이해할수없는일이였었다.

Tom (내 일기장엔 Tom of Zimbabwe 로 나옴) 은 미국인으로 한때 Africa 의 IBM computer 판매원 이였다한다. 무슨이유로인지 좋은 직업 집어치우고 East 와 South Africa 의 오지를 돌아다니며 Tour guide 하면서 살고있었다. Africa 에 무슨 매력이 있었는지, Tom 이 미국을 떠나 왜 그 삭막한 땅을 헤매는지 나한테는 알수없는 일이였었다.

그날밤 fireplace 앞에서 밤늦게 두 사람의 얘기를 들은것을 여기에 다 적을수 없지만, 모두가 두고 두고 내 기억에 남아있었다. 두 사람이 택한 운명을 이해하기 어려웠었다. 그 다음날 우리는 Nairobi 를 통해 영원히 (아마) Out of Africa 하였다.

Tom 이야 나같은 남자였으니 내가 걱정해줄 이유가 없어 곧 잊었지만, 나는 오랬동안 Stephanie 를 잊지 않었다. 그 이유는 이성에 대한 연정이 아니였다. 사실은 나는 이쁘지도 밉지도 않었던 그녀를 나의 어머니와 같은 여인으로 생각했었다. 그녀와 나의 어머니가 보여준 현실에 대한 과감한 도전과 불굴의 의지를 내 자신안에서 찾고싶어해서였는지 그녀를 잊지않었던겄 같다. 나는 그녀가 Karen Blixen 보다는 더 행복한 여생을 맞이하기를 빌었다.

그 후로 세월은 흘러 이제는 2000 년이 훨씬 넘어 버린 어느날, 나의 미국에서의 노력과 노동에서 편히 은퇴한후, 나는 우연히 눈에 띤 Out of Africa 영화의 DVD 를샀다. 다시한번 보았다. Karen 과 Denys 는 물론 거기서 다시봤고, Stephanie 와 Tom 은 연상속에서 다시 만났었다. 네 사람이 자발적으로 택했던 운명을 다시 생각 해봤다.

어제 우연히 서울에 사는 동생이 내 홈피에 게재물을 올렸는데 그게 바로 여기나오는 Out of Africa 사진과 Stay with me till the morning 이였다. 다시 네 사람의 운명과 Africa를 생각나게한다.

그런데 나는 내가 해야했던 모든 방랑과 내 천직(天職)의 의무까지 다 끝이난 이마당에, 왜 Denver 에 혼자 앉아있는걸까? 뭐가 좋아서 일까? 나는 어디에 속하며 어디에 있어야 하는건가? 내가 Stephanie 와 Tom 의 인생을 이해하기 어려웠던것 처럼, 이제 내가 내 자신의 인생을 이해할수 없다는데 스스로 놀란다.

나는 언제나 내가 무었을하던지 "왜 하는가"를 알고있다고 굳게 믿고했었지만, 내가 정말 생각했던것 만큼, 잘 알았었는지 모르겠다. 그러고 보니 이제 조금씩 Stephanie of Momella 나 Tom of Zimbabwe 가 택한 인생길을 이해할수있을것 갔기도 하다.

나는 그때는 그들이 자기들의 운명을 택했다고 생각했었는데, 이제보니 운명과 삶은 택할수 없는겄 같기도하다. Karen, Denys, Stephanie, 그리고 Tom 의 네 사람들의 머리우에 (그들도 미처 알기전에 또는 선택하기도 전에) 그냥 덥석 뒤집어 쒸워진것 같다. 아마 나의 인생도 마찬가지일겄이 아닐까? 그렇게 이론을 세운다면 이제 "다섯" 사람의 삶이 결국은 같은것으로 설명될까?

가냘픈 Dana Winner 의 노랫소리가 멀리 East Africa 의 고원으로 부터 들려오는것 같다.
장소, 시간,  경우만 다를 뿐이지 다섯사람의 길이 모두 같은 운명의 장난이 아닐까?

고향을 멀리 떠나 헤매는 동문들께. . . . .

위의 한글 버젼과 밑의 영문버젼은 다른시기에 쓴것으로 정확하게 일치하지않습니다. 같은 메쎄지이지만....
한글에도 영어에도 능숙치 않음를 사과합니다.
The Korean version above and the English version below were written in the different time span. They are slightly different. Both carries the same message though....
My apologies in my poor mastery of either languages.

Stephanie of Momella

Someone who has seen the movie of "Out of Africa" may have an easier time to read my writing.
The original heroine in the actual life, Karen Blixen (played by Mery Streep) and Denys George (played by Robert Redford) had been gone long time ago. But the spirit of the story played out in the East Africa is still living with me. Most people probably watched the love story and ended there. I watched it from a different angle and left the theater with a different thought.

It was the 29th, December of 1988, two days after the summit climb of the Uhuru Peak of Mount Kilimanjaro.
On the way to Nairobi, Kenya for the outwardbound flight out of Africa, we stopped for a night at the Oldonyorok Lodge, located in the Momella region near Arusha, Tanzania.
Under the shadow of two gigantic volcanic mountains of Kilimanjaro and Mount Meru, it was more than an hour of rough mountainous drive by a four-wheel-drive Land Rover from the main highway connecting Moshi and Arusha.  This arear is in the same vicinity where the movies of "Hatari (John Wayne)" and "Out of Africa" were filmed. We were just to climb the Mount Meru and tour the Arusha National Park, but had never expected to encounter the living replicas of Karen and Denys of the "Out of Africa" as if we had just entered into the movie set in real time.

By then, luckily, I had seen the movie already at home in America and I knew the whole story. What I remebered in the movie was not the story of romance between a man and woman, but it was the life and the eventual fate of the European settlers in Africa away from their native homes.
Having lived most of my adult life in America in the similar shoes of theirs, the latter aspect of the story remained in my memory more than the other.
Without having had seen the movie, I would have been totally blind to the significance of the encounter and the lasting memory of it would never have come to live with me.

I saw Stephanie von Mutius, the lady-owner of the lodge, as the living contemporary version of the Karen Blixen, while our tour guide, Tom Ripellino, as the Denys George in the movie.

Stephanie was born between her French father and German mother who were the white africans (meaning the Europeans living in Africa) then. She went to school at the city of Moshi, in the foothills of Kilimanjaro. She went back to Europe many times but, for some reason that I could not undestand, she decided to live in Tanzania for the rest of her life under the oppressing redtapes of the native rules against foreigners. Her British husband, Bert, was killed in an airplane accident (the similar one that killed Denys in the movie) about a year ago then. She was living alone as a white settler with her 2 and 5 year-old sons in a remote ranch about 100 km from Arusha (now the capital of Tanzania).
After the untimely death of Bert, she completed the unfinished construction of the lodge by herself and opened for business in March of that year. It was a mystery to me that she returned to Tanzania, having chosen not to live in Europe, then living here alone in the middle of the African blacks, and in a total uncertainty of the future.

Tom (as Tom of Zimbabwe in my journal) was an American who used to be a salesman of IBM computer in East Africa. For some reason, he quit the good job and decided to become a tour guide in the East and South Africa and was wandering practically homeless. There and then, I could not understand why he had chosen his way of life.

In front of the fireplace till late in the night, I heard the story and the view of their life. I can not write them all here but they remained in my memory vividly for a long time. The choice of life they had taken was beyond my understanding then. In the next morning, I left Momella and was out of Africa probably for good. I brought the memories of two persons and kept them with me for a long time.

As Tom was a man just like me, I never worried about him and he faded away from my memory very soon. But I remembered Stephanie for a long time afterwards. It was not that I missed her. She, having been neither pretty nor ugly, stayed in me as a figure like my mother. In myself, I probably wanted to find the invincible spirit and the toughness that I saw in her and my mother. I always wished that she finds a better life than that of Karen.

Time went by swiftly and silently like the water flowing by the shore of the Ohio River where I ran my life. One day in the new century, after having retired and moved to Denver, I found a DVD set of "Out of Africa" on a store shelf. I watched it again, meeting Karen and Denys all over again there, and then remembered all about Stephanie and Tom. I remembered the stange life of the four persons again.
Then, slowly, I was realizing that I am still sitting in Denver away from my home as well. After having done all those wanderings and finished my professional duties, why am I still here? Shoud I have gone back to where I came from? Should I have closed the open loop in the circle of life?

I always thought that I knew exactly what I was doing and where I was going. Did I really know?
I always thought that I chose and guided my own directionn of life. Did I really do that? After it is almost over and done, I am not sure who pushed the remote control button on my life. At one time, I thought it was me but, now, I am not so sure who did it.

I thought that Karen, Denys, Stephanie, and Tom had chosen their way of life and I could not understand why they picked the harder one in the strange foreign land. But gadually it came to my mind that theirs were not chosen by them. It probably came upon them without their being known or having chosen it. And, after all, it seemed that mine probably played in the same way.
I realized one day that theirs are not much different from mine except in the time, places, and circumstances. Now, I begin to understand why they were in East Africa and why I have been in America. One way or the other, we were living the same shoes. It does make "five" of us in the similar fate of life.

Cheers, to the wandering souls among us!

Pictures from "http://www.artbio.pe.kr/" and "http://snubugo.net/"
The introductory music text by Jinsoo Kim
Additional webpage, texts, and lyrics translation by S. Steven Km - March 14, 2005

No. Subject Date Author Last Update Views
Notice How to write your comments onto a webpage [2] 2016.07.06 운영자 2016.11.20 17768
Notice How to Upload Pictures in webpages 2016.07.06 운영자 2018.10.19 31850
Notice How to use Rich Text Editor [3] 2016.06.28 운영자 2018.10.19 5493
Notice How to Write a Webpage 2016.06.28 운영자 2020.12.23 43427
1874 영화 Out of Africa...Stay with me till the morning/Dana Winner 2005.03.13 jinsoo 2005.03.13 13232
» [re] A Memory of Africa with a song 2005.03.14 Steven Kim 2005.03.14 7620
1872 봄이 오면 2005.03.24 이한중 2005.03.24 7753
1871 코리아 여! [8] 2005.03.25 이 한 중 2016.06.16 7616
1870 Rumination over pictures of old faces from Orlando [2] 2005.03.27 Oun Kwon 권 오 언 2016.06.15 7792
1869 제비 - La Golondrina (노래감상) [1] 2005.03.29 Steven Kim 2005.03.29 9294
1868 복 수 초 [7] 2005.03.29 오세윤 2005.03.29 7341
1867 진달래 꽃 (素月의 詩와 인생) [3] 2005.04.02 Steven Kim 2005.04.02 7595
1866 [시해설] 김소월 : 진달래꽃 [4] 2005.04.03 김 원호 2005.04.03 9188
1865 Golfing with Friends [9] 2005.04.03 이 한 중 2005.04.03 7288
1864 [re] Golfing with Friends [4] 2005.04.04 jinsoo 2005.04.04 6908
1863 조금씩 아름다워 지는 사람(퍼옴) [1] 2005.04.05 석주 2005.04.05 7890
1862 [re] 조금씩 아름다워 지는 사람 [5] 2005.04.05 jinsoo 2005.04.05 7056
1861 L'amour, c'est pour rien! [5] 2005.04.05 通信兵 2005.04.05 7658
1860 징 검 다리 - 오세윤 [3] 2005.04.10 오세윤 2016.06.17 7337
1859 [시 감상] 행복 - 유치환 [5] 2005.04.13 kyu hwang 2005.04.13 8143
1858 좋은 친구는 인생에서 가장 큰 보배 [5] 2005.04.16 물안개 2005.04.16 6378