아침까지 나와 같이 있어줘요         
아침까지 나와 함께 있어줘요

Dana Winner

A Memory of Africa 

An abbreviated webpage version
웝페이지용 축소판 

아프리카의 한 추억

Stephanie of Momella

Someone who has seen the movie of "Out of Africa" may have an easier time to read and understand my story.

The original heroine in the actual life, Karen Blixen (played by Meryl Streep) and the hero, Denys George (played by Robert Redford) had been gone long time ago.
But the spirit of the story played out in the East Africa is still living with me and some of us.

Most people probably watched the love story and ended there. I watched it from a different angle and left the theater with a different thought.

It was the 29th, December of 1988,
two days after the summit climb of the Uhuru Peak of Mount Kilimanjaro.
On the way to Nairobi, Kenya for the outwardbound flight out of Africa, we stopped for a night at the Oldonyorok Lodge, located in the Momella region near Arusha, Tanzania.

Under the shadow of two gigantic African volcanic mountains of Kilimanjaro and Mount Meru, it was more than an hour of rough mountainous drive by a four-wheel-drive Land Rover from the main highway connecting Moshi and Arusha.  
This area is in the same vicinity where the movies of "Hatari (John Wayne)" and "Out of Africa" were filmed.

We were just to climb the Mount Meru and tour the Arusha National Park, but had never expected to encounter the living replicas of Karen and Denys of the "Out of Africa" as if we had just entered into the movie set in real time.

By then, luckily, I had seen the movie already at home in America and I knew the whole story. What I remebered in the movie was not just a story of romance between a man and woman, but it was the life and the eventual fate of the European settlers in Africa away from their native homes.

Having lived most of my adult life in America in the similar shoes of theirs, the latter aspect of the story remained in my memory more than anything else. Without having had seen the movie, I would have been totally blind to the significance of the encounter and the lasting memory of it would never have come and been imprinted to live in me.

I saw Stephanie von Mutius, the lady-owner of the lodge, as the living contemporary version of the Karen Blixen, while our tour guide, Tom Ripellino, as the Denys George in the movie.

Stephanie was born between her French father and German mother who were the white Africans (meaning the Europeans living in Africa) then. She went to school at the city of Moshi, in the foothills of Kilimanjaro. She went back to Europe many times but, for some reason that I could not undestand, she decided to live in Tanzania for the rest of her life under the oppressing redtapes and discrimination by the native rules against foreigners.
Her British husband, Bert, was killed in an airplane accident (the similar one that killed Denys in the movie) about a year ago then. She was living alone as a white settler with her 2 and 5 year-old sons in a remote ranch about 100 km from Arusha (now the capital of Tanzania).
After the untimely death of Bert, she completed the unfinished construction of the lodge by herself and opened for business in March of that year. It was a mystery to me that she returned to Tanzania, having chosen not to live in Europe, then living here alone in the middle of the African blacks, and in a total uncertainty of the future.

Tom (as Tom of Zimbabwe in my journal) was an American who used to be a salesman of IBM computer in East Africa. For some reason, he quit the good job and decided to become a tour guide in the East and South Africa, wandering practically homeless. There and then, I could not understand why he had chosen his way of life.

In front of the fireplace till late in the night, I heard the story and the view of their life. I can not write them all here but they remained in my memory vividly for a long time. The choice of life they had taken was beyond my understanding then.

In the next morning, I left Momella and was out of Africa probably for good. I brought the memories of two persons and kept them with me for a long time.

As Tom was a man just like me, I never worried about him and he faded away from my memory very soon. But I remembered Stephanie for a long time afterwards. It was not that I missed her. She, having been neither pretty nor ugly, stayed in me as an undefeatable figure like my mother. In myself, I probably wanted to find the invincible spirit and the toughness that I saw in her and my mother. I always wished that she finds the life that she wanted, a better one than that of Karen Blixon.

Time went by swiftly and silently like the water flowing by the shore of the Ohio River where I ran my life. One day in the new century, after having retired and moved to Denver, I found a DVD set of "Out of Africa" on a store shelf.
I watched it, meeting Karen and Denys all over again there, and then remembered all about Stephanie and Tom.
I remembered the stange life of the four persons again. Then, slowly, I was realizing that I am still sitting in Denver away from my home as well.
After having done all those wanderings and finished my professional duties, why am I still here?
Shoud I have gone back to where I came from? Should I have closed the open loop in the circle of life?

I always thought that I knew what I was doing and where I was going. I always thought that I chose and guided my own direction of life. Did I really know and do that?
After it is almost over and done, I am not sure who pushed the remote control button on my life. At one time, I thought it was me but, now, I am not so sure. I thought that Karen, Denys, Stephanie, and Tom had chosen their own way of life and I could not understand why they had picked the much tougher one in the lonely and strange foreign land.
But gadually it came to my mind that theirs might not have been chosen by them. It probably came upon them without their being known or having chosen it.
And, after all, it seemed that mine probably played in the same way. I realized that theirs are not much different from mine (and us) except in the time, places, and circumstances. Now, I begin to understand why they had been in East Africa and why I have been in America. One way or the other, we were living in the same shoes. It does put all of us in the similar wanderings of life. Wondering what purposes it served and why, regardless if the questions were answered or not, the true meaning of the movie story and my African encounters seems to come alive and make sense.

After having passed a certain point in life, one day, we may realize what our destiny was meant to be. Then, we shall bravely proceed with no remorse, hesitation, or anxiety.
We shall try to fulfill our destiny, and try to find happiness in doing so.

Cheers, to the wandering souls and foreigners-in-eternity among us !

Pictures from "http://www.artbio.pe.kr/" and "http://snubugo.net/"
The introductory music text by Jinsoo Kim
Additional webpage, texts, and lyrics translation by SNUMA WM - March 14, 2005
Re-edit - July 29, 2011
No. Subject Date Author Last Update Views
Notice How to write your comments onto a webpage [2] 2016.07.06 운영자 2016.11.20 18194
Notice How to Upload Pictures in webpages 2016.07.06 운영자 2018.10.19 32349
Notice How to use Rich Text Editor [3] 2016.06.28 운영자 2018.10.19 5928
Notice How to Write a Webpage 2016.06.28 운영자 2020.12.23 43842
255 고향의봄-하모니카 연주 [2] 2011.04.06 황규정*65 2011.04.06 8640
254 The boy singing with Mario Lanza is Pavarotti [3] 2011.04.13 김영철*61 2011.04.13 9827
253 Pop Songs - Favorite Oldies [4] 2011.04.21 운영자 2011.04.21 7856
252 God Bless America [3] 2011.05.02 운영자 2011.05.02 10053
251 [Pop Song] More songs from Laura Fygi 2011.05.12 운영자 2011.05.12 9284
250 [re] 품바 Show - 각설이 타령 [1] 2011.05.19 Rover 2011.05.19 11416
249 품바 Show !! [1] 2011.05.19 Rover 2011.05.19 9373
248 [re] 이용훈 테너, 베르디 <돈 카를로> 2011.05.29 운영자 2011.05.29 6875
247 [re] 이용훈 테너, YouTube Videos 2011.05.29 운영자 2011.05.29 9056
246 이용훈 테너, 시카고 공연 [3] 2011.05.29 운영자 2011.05.29 9027
245 [Pop Song] If you're going to San Francisco [5] 2011.07.23 운영자 2011.07.23 5565
» A memory of Africa with a song [3] 2011.07.29 운영자 2011.07.29 5119
243 님이 오시는지 - 물망초 꿈꾸는 강가를 돌아.... [4] 2011.09.16 운영자 2011.09.16 5665
242 천(千)의 바람이 되어... #2/2 [7] 2011.09.22 운영자 2011.09.22 5433
241 기차는 8시에 떠나네 - 바이올리니스트 김지연의 소개 [2] 2011.09.25 운영자 2011.09.25 8023
240 기차는 8시에 떠나네 - Haris Alexiou and etc. [6] 2011.09.25 운영자 2011.09.25 6229
239 Beautiful Chinese Music (traditional) [2] 2011.10.02 계기식*72 2011.10.02 6764
238 La Traviata - A remarkable performance [2] 2011.10.13 운영자 2011.10.13 5288
237 歌客 나훈아 Super Live 콘서트 [4] 2011.10.18 운영자 2011.10.18 5774
236 사라사테 / 지고이네르바이젠(집시의 노래) [4] 2011.11.09 황규정*65 2011.11.09 5569