Diego Maradona, Argentina coach
I want to congratulate my players for having perfectly executed our game plan. We deserved a win like this because we’d already threatened this kind of result against Nigeria. Except from the [Martin] Demichelis error, we had all the play and did what we wanted with the ball. Korea [Republic] never managed to get behind us, they never had the ball and, aside from one counter-attack in the second period, I can hardly remember them having a shot on goal. Their goal was a shot in the arm for us and we went out and played with even more determination after the break. A headline to sum up today’s game? ‘Argentina were implacable.’

Huh Jung Moo, Korea Republic coach
I didn’t expect us to lose by such a large margin, but everything will go down to the final group game. We didn’t play well and Argentina did. They got a slice of luck with their first goal whereas we weren’t able to take our chances. This defeat is a great lesson and we must learn from it when we play against Nigeria.

Gonzalo Higuain, Argentina striker and Budweiser Man of the Match
There’s nothing better than scoring a hat-trick at your first World Cup. We’re happy because we played a great game in every way: we played good football, we created chances and we were clinical in front of goal. We were deserved winners and we need to continue in this vein. We’re convinced that we’re capable of having a great World Cup.

Oh Beom Seok, Korea Republic defender
We knew that we were coming up against one of the best teams, so our strategy was to stay tight at the back and then take any available opportunities to hit them on the break. But we conceded the first goal very early and that upset our game plan. We made some unforgivable defensive errors and that’s why we lost the game.

Nicolas Burdisso, Argentina defender
Korea [Republic] didn’t perform as well as we expected, but that was down to us. We controlled possession and were able to hurt them whenever we got the chance. How did it feel to join the action? It was fine, because when the team’s playing well substitutes just slot right in. Today we made a positive statement.

Yeom Ki Hun, Korea Republic midfielder
Even though we lost, we’re not down about this result because we came up against one of the best teams in the world. We had several goalscoring chances but we weren’t able to put them away. If there’s one thing that we could regret, it’s the series of defensive errors. They are better than us individually and there’s also a gap in quality between the sides in terms of teamwork.