whirling their wings into a blur.

Rapidly they came. And you, O Blessed Goddess,

a smile on your immortal face,

asked what had happened this time,

why did I call again,

and what did I especially desire

for myself in my frenzied heart:

“Who this time am I to persuade

to your love? Sappho, who is doing you wrong?

For even if she flees, soon she shall pursue.

And if she refuses gifts, soon she shall give them.

If she doesn’t love you, soon she shall love

even if she’s unwilling.”

Come to me now once again and release me

from grueling anxiety.

All that my heart longs for,

fulfill. And be yourself my ally in love’s battle.

Some say an army of horsemen,

some of footsoldiers, some of ships,

is the fairest thing on the black earth,

but I say it is what one loves.

Two. One Girl - Poem by Sappho

I

Like the sweet apple

which reddens upon the topmost bough,

A-top on the topmost twig--

which the pluckers forgot, somehow--

Forget it not, nay, but got it not,

for none could get it till now.

II

Like the wild hyacinth flower

which on the hills is found,

Which the passing feet of the shepherds

forever tear and wound,

Until the purple blossom

is trodden in the ground.

제1. 불사의 아프로디테여

당신의 화려하게 무늬넣은 왕관을 쓴

제우스의 아이며 계략의 직조인이여, 나는 이것을 기원합니다.

숙녀시여, 나의 심장을 파멸치 마세요

고통과 슬픔으로.

그러나 여기로 오세요, 만일 일찍이,

당신이 나의 멀리서 오는 비명을 들었을 때

당신은 귀를 기울었고, 그리고 당신은 왔고,

당신 아버지 집을 떠나서.

당신의 황금 꽃마차에 멍에를 얹고,

그리고 아름다고 재빠른 참새들이 당신을 까만

흙위로 이끌며, 하늘로부터 공중을 가로질러,

아득한 점처럼, 그들의 날개를 휘졌지요.

그들은 재빨리 왔고. 그리고 당신 오! 축복받은 여신이여,

당신의 불사의 안면에 띄운 미소는 물었지요.

지금 무슨 일이 생겼는지,

왜 내가 거듭 불렀는지,

그리고 내가 특별이 무엇을 원했는지

나 자신을 위해 나의 열광한 심장속에서:

“지금 내가 너의 사랑으로 누구를 설득하는가?

사포야, 누가 네게 잘못을 하느냐?

왜냐하면 비록 그녀가 달아나도, 곧 그녀는 쫓아 오고,

그리고 만일 그녀가 선물을 거절해도, 곧 그녀는 그들을 줄 것이다.

만일 그녀가 너를 사랑하지 않으면, 곧 그녀는 사랑하게 될것이다.

비록 그녀가 자진하지는 않아도.”

지금 나에게 또 한 번 와서 나를 풀어다오

격렬한 근심으로부터.

내 심장이 열망하는 모든 것이 성취되고,

그리고 너 자신이 사랑의 전투에서 나의 협력자가 되어다오.

누구는 말한다,  기마대 하나,

누구는 보병군, 누구는 함대를,

이 대지위에 가장 아름다운 것라고,

그러나 나는 말한다, 그것은 사람이 사랑하는 것이라고.

제2. 소녀

I

가장 높은 가지에서 붉어지는

감미로운 능금같이,

그 채취자가 여하튼 잊었던

가장 높은 가지의 꼭대기,

지금까지 아무도 갖지 못했던

잊었던, 아니 갖지 못했던 능금처럼

II

언덕위에 발견되는,

야생의 하이어신스 꽃같이,

목동이 지나가는 발이

끊임없이 찢고 상처내는 꽃같이

그 자주색 꽃이

땅위에서 밟힐 때까지.

Sappho the poet

She was a Greek lyric poet, born on the island of Lesbos. The Alexandrians included her in the list of nine lyric poets. She was born sometime between 630 and 612 BCE, and it is said that she died around 570 BCE, but little is known for certain about her life. The bulk of her poetry, which was well-known and greatly admired through much of antiquity, has been lost; however, her immense reputation has endured through surviving fragments.

Sappho's lifetime witnessed a period of political turbulence on Lesbos and saw the rise of Pittacus. According to the Parian Marble, Sappho was exiled to Sicily sometime between 604 BCE and 594 BCE and Cicero records that a statue of her stood in the town hall of Syracuse. Unlike the works of her fellow poet, Alcaeus, Sappho's surviving poetry has very few allusions to political conditions. The principal exception is Fragment 98, which mentions exile and indicates that Sappho was lacking some of her customary luxuries. Her political sympathies may have lain with the party of Alcaeus. ]Though there is no explicit record of this, it is usually assumed that Sappho returned from exile at some point and that she spent most of her life in Lesbos.

David Campbell has briefly summarized some of the most arresting qualities of Sappho's poetry:

Clarity of language and simplicity of thought are everywhere evident in our fragments; wit and rhetoric, so common in English love-poetry and not quite absent from Catullus' love poems, are nowhere to be found. Her images are sharp—the sparrows that draw Aphrodite's chariot, the full moon in a starry sky, the solitary red apple at the tree-top—and she sometimes lingers over them to elaborate them for their own sake. She quotes the direct words of conversations real or imaginary and so gains immediacy. When the subject is the turbulence of her emotions, she displays a cool control in their expression. Above all, her words are chosen for their sheer melody: the skill with which she placed her vowels and consonants, admired by Dionysius of Halicarnassus, is evidenced by almost any stanza; the music to which she sang them has gone, but the spoken sounds may still enchant.

Out of over 200 remaining remnants of Sappho’s poetry, Fragment 16 and Fragment 44 in particular are considered lyric retellings of Homer epics, as Sappho was known to be very familiar with Homer's poems. Both fragments make direct allusions to scenes in Homer’s Iliad, while Sappho also expands them with her own narrative illustrations. Fragment 16, for instance, serves to characterise Helen, a key figure of Homer's, while Fragment 44 glorifies domestic joy by depicting the events leading to the wedding of Hector and Andromache.

The political atmosphere of Lesbos during Sappho's time paralleled that of Homer’s Troy, as the cities of Lesbos were constantly plagued with threats from Lydia. Whereas Homer focused on depicting beauty through the glory of militarism, however, Sappho focused primarily on the portrayal of beauty through love. As oratory poets, both Homer and Sappho used their work to celebrate and memorialise events for posterity. The exigency of their verses was therefore to preserve information as well as to entertain.

Both discovered during the 1895 Oxyrhynchus excavation, Sappho’s Fragments 16 and 44 are translations from extant 2nd- and 3rd-century BCE papyrus scrolls, which made them transcribed records of the lyrics Sappho sang while accompanying herself on a cithara. Her work is known to have been canonized during the 3rd century BCE, at which time papyrus copies were held in the House of the Muses, the library in Alexandria. Like the myths woven into her work, a myth surrounds the loss of Sappho’s complete oeuvre as well. The story still circulates that Sappho’s poems were lost due to the repeated attacks on the library in Alexandria.

사포의 생애

사포는 다작 시인이라고 알려져 있지만, 오늘날에는 그녀의 시 일부분만이 남아 전해지고 있다. 그녀의 생애 또한 몇 가지 단편적인 사실만이 전해지고 있다. 사포는 기원전 612년에서 기원전 560년까지 살았을 것으로 추정되고 있다. 태어난 곳은 그리스의 레스보스 섬 미텔레네이고 귀족가문 출신이었다고 전한다. 그녀의 아버지 스카만도르니무스는 부유한 포도주 상인이었다고 하며 3명의 남자 형제 중 카락소스 또한 포도주 상인이었다는 것으로 보아 이를 생업으로 삼는 귀족 가문의 고명딸이었던 것 같다. 사포는 안드로스 섬의 케르킬라스라는 부유한 남자와 결혼하여 그 사이에 클레이스라는 딸을 하나 낳았다. 정치적인 문제로 인해 가족과 함께 2년간 시칠리아에 망명을 갔다.

이는 당시 그리스에서 명망 있는 집안이 세력을 잃으면 다른 지방으로 추방되는 일이 왕왕 있었는데 아마도 사포 집안의 시칠리아로의 망명도 그런 케이스였던 것 같다.

사포가 다시 레스보스 섬으로 돌아와 미텔레네에 자리를 잡았을 즈음에 그녀는 남편을 잃고 홀로서기를 해야 했다. 사포는 귀족 집안의 어린 소녀들을 모아 음악과 시, 무용 등을 가르치는 것을 생업으로 하여 살아갔다. 이 시절 사포는 많은 시를 창작하였는데 그 대상은 주로 자신이 가르치는 처녀들이나 친구, 연인이었다. 사포는 당시 같은 지역에 살고 있던 시인 알카이오스와 많은 시를 교환하였다고 한다. 알카이오스는 사포와 더불어 레스보스 섬의 미텔레네 출신으로 정치시가 유명하였다.

사포의 삶에 대해서는 그녀가 남긴 아름다운 서정시에 신비주의 색채를 덧칠하는 많은 전설들이 남아 있다. 그중 그녀가 레스보스 섬의 뱃사공 파온과 사랑에 빠졌다가 사랑의 고통으로 암벽에서 몸을 던져 바다에서 죽었다는 이야기가 가장 유명한데 사실인지는 알 수 없다. 다만, 사랑으로 인한 죽음은 서정시인으로 살았던 그녀의 삶을 더욱 신비하게 만들어주는 장치임에는 틀림이 없다.

레스보스섬의 소녀들

사포와 관련하여서는 그녀의 서정시와 함께 여성동성애자를 일컫는  lesbian이라는 말이 따라다닌다. 레즈비언이라는 말은 레스보스 섬의 사람이란 뜻이지만, 사포가 레스보스 섬에서 여성들을 가르치는 일을 시작하면서 여성동성애자를 일컫는 말이 되었다. 고대 그리스에서 존경받을만한 학자나 시인들은 많은 젊은이들을 거느리며 그들에게 학문을 전수하고 어른으로 성장하는 것을 도왔다. 정식적인 학교는 아니었지만, 그들은 하나의 무리를 이루며 상호보완적인 관계를 만들어갔다. 당시에는 스승과 제자 사이에 거부감없이 동성애가 이루어지기도 하였다. 그것은 당시의 사회적 분위기에서는 자연스러운 일이었으며 그 어떤 죄의식도 존재하지 않았다. 오히려 그리스 남자 귀족들은 사랑은 정신적인 부분을 공감하는 동성과만 나눌 수 있으며 여자와의 육체적 사랑은 다만 아이를 가지기 위해서일 뿐이라고 생각했다.
그러나 이런 스승과 제자의 정신적 육체적 관계는 남성들에게 국한된 것이었다. 그런데 레스보스 섬에서 여성들만의 작은 움직임이 일어났다. 남자들만이 가지던 스승과 제자의 관계를 여성들도 만든 것이다. 그 중심에 사포가 있었다.

고대 그리스는 남자 귀족들에게는 매우 자유롭고 이상적인 사회였지만 여타 계급의 사람들에게는 많은 희생을 요구하는 사회이기도 했다. 특히 여성들은 아이를 낳기 위해 하는 수 없이 필요한 존재로 취급받았다. 여성은 남성에 비해 모든 것이 떨어지는, 고상한 정신적 세계에는 도저히 도달할 수 없는 열등한 존재로 푸대접받았다. 이런 상황에서 사포를 중심으로 하여 여성들만이 모여 그들의 예술과 학문 세계를 만들어갔다는 것은 대단한 파격을 의미했다. 사포는 어린 귀족 소녀들에게 시와 예술을 가르치고 그들이 성장하는 것을 도왔다. 그 사이에 여성들끼리의 성적 관계가 있었는지는 알 수 없지만, 그리스의 보편적인 스승과 제자의 관계를 생각할 때 그것은 충분히 가능한 일이었다. 사포의 시에도 그러한 부분은 많이 언급되고 있다. 이리하여 레스보스 섬의 사람들이란 말, 레즈비언은 남성과 똑같이 조직을 만들어 공부하는 여성들이 있는 곳을 뜻하는 말이 되었고 이후 여성동성애자를 뜻하는 말이 되었다.

연도적 고찰

1, From Chronology of World History(세계사)
Sappho의 출생을 630~612 BCE 로 보고 사망을 570 BCE로 볼 때
660 BCE: 일본의 Jimmu Denno가 일본국을 세웠다는 전설이 있음
650 BCE: Asia Minor에 위치한 Lydia왕국내 (현재 Western Turkey) 처음으로 동전 발견.
648 BCE: 희랍인에 의한 일식을 처음 기록
585 BCE: Thales Melitus가 처음으로 일식 예측
539 BCE: Babylon이 Cyrus of the Great of Persia에 의하여 멸망.

2, From Chinese History(중국사)
동주(東周)((bc770-bc221)
bc655: 晉獻公(-bc651)殺太子申生(-bc655),公子重耳(-bc628)逃狄
진나라 헌공이 태자 신생을 죽이고(bc 651), 공자 중이가 적으로 달아났다. (bc 628)
bc636: 重耳即位為晉文公(-bc628). 중이가 즉위하여 진문공이 되다.
bc632: 城濮之役,晉率諸國敗楚,晉稱霸. 진나라가 초를 이겨서 패업을 이룩하다.
bc551: 孔子(Confucius, bc551-bc479)誕生. 공자 탄생이니, 대략 21년전에 사포가 사망.

3. 국사에서는 선사시대로 청동기시대 말기였다.

Sappho’s Club

Sappho with Alcaeus

Sappho Song

Next is the Irish traditional song, Oh Danny Boy

Danny Boy Ireland

Oh Danny Boy

The Irish Tenors

Oh Danny Boy

Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling

From glen to glen, and down the mountain side

The summer's gone, and all the roses falling

It's you, it's you must go and I must bide.

But come ye back when summer's in the meadow

Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow

It's I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow

Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so.

But when ye come, and all the flow'rs are dying

If I am dead, as dead I well may be

You'll come and find the place where I am lying

And kneel and say an ave there for me.

And I shall hear, though soft you tread above me

And all my grave will warmer, sweeter be

For you will bend and tell me that you love me

And I shall sleep in peace until you come to me.

오, 대니 보이

오, 대니 보이, 파이프가 파이프가 부르고 있네.

골짜기마다에서 저 산 언저리까지

여름은 지나고 장미는 떨어지고 있어

넌 떠나야 하는데 난 그럴 수가 없단다

그러나 너는 돌아올거야, 여름이 초원에 있을 때,

아니면 골짜기가 조용하고 눈으로 하얄 때

나는 햇볕속에서 아니면 그늘속에서 여기 있을거야.

오, 대니 보이, 오, 대니 보이, 나는 너를 그렇게 사랑했지.

네가 올 때엔 모든 꽃들은 죽어가고,

내가 죽으면 마치 내가 싸늘히 죽었듯이,

너는 돌아와서 내가 누워있는 곳을 찾겠지.

그리고 무릎꿇고 나를 위해 거기서 ‘아베’를 말하리.

비록 네가 내 위를 부드럽게 밟더라도 나는 들을거야,

그리고 내 무덤은 따뜻하지고, 향기로워 질거야.

네가 숙이고 나를 사랑한다고 말하기 때문에,

그리고 네가 내게 올 때까지 나는 평화롭게 잘거야.

설명

Danny boy 는  Irish American Song 이나  1910 년  English Lawyer 인  Frederic Weatherly 가 작사했고  처음엔  다른 Tune이 었으나  1913년 미국 에사는 Irish born인 Sister-in-law가  보내준  Irish tune인  "Londonderry  Air" 의 곡에 맞추어 변화 시컸읍니다.  이 곡은 Irish American 과  Irish Canadian의  Unofficial Signature song 으로  Anthem으로도  불리운 노래 입니다.  Funeral 에도 많이 불리운  Song으로  President  Ronald Reagan 장례식에도  불리웠읍니다. 김성철 선생님 글

Kwan Ho Chung - January 20, 2016

No. Subject Date Author Last Update Views
Notice How to write your comments onto a webpage [2] 2016.07.06 운영자 2016.11.20 18191
Notice How to Upload Pictures in webpages 2016.07.06 운영자 2018.10.19 32338
Notice How to use Rich Text Editor [3] 2016.06.28 운영자 2018.10.19 5914
Notice How to Write a Webpage 2016.06.28 운영자 2020.12.23 43833
259 [唐詩] 左掖梨花(좌액이화): 배꽃 노래 file 2016.06.28 정관호*63 2024.01.08 391
258 [六朝文] 歸去來辭 陶淵明: 귀거래사 도연명 [11] 2016.06.24 정관호-63 2016.07.04 569
257 [re] 歸去來辭 - 귀거래사의 노래 2016.06.21 온기철*71 2016.06.21 86
256 [re] 歸去來辭 - 서양 스타일 [1] 2016.06.21 조중행*69 2016.06.21 112
255 歸去來辭 - 陶淵明 [5] 2016.06.21 운영자 2016.06.26 49
254 [唐詩] 琵琶行(비파행): 비파의 노래 재편집 [2] 2016.05.22 정관호*63 2016.06.15 349
253 [Poem] Feeling Is ... [1] 2016.05.18 이한중 2016.05.18 18218
252 Thou Shall Not [2] 2016.05.11 이한중 2016.05.11 319
251 On Mother's day,here,parents day... In the month of Family [4] file 2016.05.07 조중행*69 2017.07.14 285
250 경의전 개교 기념/ 그리고 함춘원 [2] file 2016.04.26 조중행*69 2017.07.14 380
249 Poems from 채희문, 이부혜 시화선집에서 [6] 2016.04.18 이한중 2016.04.18 1150
248 [唐詩] 少年行 王維: 소년의 노래. 채지충 만화 [2] 2016.03.18 정관호*63 2016.03.18 230
247 [唐詩] 渭城曲 王維: 위성의 이별곡. 채지충 만화 [1] 2016.03.17 정관호*63 2016.03.17 316
246 [唐詩] 靜夜思 李白: 고요한 밤 생각, 이백. 채지충 만화 [2] 2016.03.16 정관호*63 2016.03.16 402
245 Spiritual Inspiration Poems 2016.03.16 이한중*65 2016.03.16 596
244 [poem] Unfolding a Rose [3] 2016.03.11 이한중*65 2016.03.11 294
243 [poem] 남가주에서 겨울을 보내며 [6] 2016.03.04 이한중*65 2016.03.04 343
242 Prayer of St. Francis [14] 2016.02.20 이한중*65 2016.02.20 658
241 [re] Jerusalem [1] 2016.01.29 이건일*68 2016.01.29 373
240 귀천 [1] 2016.01.27 김성철*67 2019.06.11 287