logo

English

MY FATHER'S FOOTSTEPS IN AMERICA I

Exhibit 1: Williston Seminary and its main front door - 1913. Williston Seminary, Easthampton, Massachusetts.
TNPk86wKFRMm2aOg7oAdNq8NOylBqt41EzSDZ84n

This is my father's class photo of Williston Seminary taken in front of the main entrance of the school building, being the only school photo of his in my possession. My father was the third student from the right end of the back row.

Exhibit 2: The photo of me and my son, Henry Chung -1985. Front door of Town Library, 9 Park St. Easthampton, MA 01027
rmJrY8JGVKUsnKDKEmIK_RiJqUDnGdPH-H63GLd1

It is exactly the same entrance as shown in Exhibit 1.The old school building was replaced by a new one at its site, and the old Williston Seminary was renamed as the Williston Academy, but this entrance was preserved to be the Easthampton Town Library.

Exhibit 3: The centennial anniversary of the school class photo, August 31, 2013
vSTbK-o45U6Az5VeCYC5nHq7xO1NgtkF2-3d7NK_

One hundred years have elapsed since the class photo was taken. Photo shows my grandson, me, my second son and the first son from the left. The library has been renamed again as Emily Williston Memorial Library. The school also has been renamed as Williston Northampton School.

Exhibit 4: The unobstructed view of the entrance - August 31, 2013
uuTDNAFczrfLY6qFVYmyNkZTcJfMPtR0RLw_nML1
Everyone walked out of the stairs, and this entrance was vacant. Is this my last visit? Is there any possibility of my coming back here?

Exhibit 5: Our couple in front of this entrance - June 19. 2014.
ZY4bzrk5JsID2XoFug6h-aN7rwixTyxdackuXLuA

Following our New England tour, we checked in the Clarion Hotel, Northampton, MA. After a restful night, my wife and I visited the same library and had this picture taken. Then I entered the alumni office for more inquiry, and then left for home. This was my fourth visit to the school.

Exhibit 6: Zachs Admission Center - August 31, 2013
VaBR8DDaArbsURbXnXn5wTAw0hmWWxdMSyjNg9lG
During our visit on the centennial anniversary, some pictures were taken in the campus. 19 Payson Ave, Easthampton, MA 01027

Exhibit 7: Entrance to an indoor Gymnasium - August 31, 2013
DKOPayuh90HaElI7jQNHVciPsqeACI9mcfs3u3DM
Exhibit 8: With Mr. Jeffrey Pilgrim, Alumni Relations Director in front of an old building - August 31, 2013

N6FIvvQFVDNqYYccJk7DwVkPnPN4SwVyk9ioDs1V>
Exhibit 9: Another old building, Memorial Hall - August 31, 2013

5YJjTK5WblOjGEWlnpZf1JDeVxlryGcyx78vJ6e2

Exhibit 10: Old School House - August 31, 2013
U55P86ctTy6WscLj9wReZUTCrPGzOdApcmizULe1
Exhibit 11. Grandfatherr's 60th birthday photo - 1935
eYD8zZqjcfwjpi7W9GAPKmlBYHiXhEcfiWUqK5Nd

My father was standing right behind grandfather, my mother behind grandmother. I can see four sisters of mine here without me since it was 2 years before my birth.

Exhibit 12: Father New York City - 1923 on his second visit to America. Left Photo
Exhibit 13: The same photo as Exhibit 12, except being with his friend - 1923) Right Photo
QR9WM8xeLFyN6JhvcICbrrXiAQwgyUf6ej5SryrTbBM1eHp-G8uRQWHfsvija_X107AFSNFtz0Hg_QZD

I have my strong feelings that his friend was Mr. Heegyeong Lee, one of the well-known Korean Independence patriots. I found four old photos of father taken in New York City during his second visit to America in the year of 1923. Two of them are the above photos standing alone next to the stone wall on the left, and in front of the wall with his friend on the right.
The location of Exhibit 12 and 13 is same as that of Exhibit 14 and 15.

Exhibit 14: Kwan Ho in front of the protective fence, left. Jan 6, 2015. Belvedere Castle, Central Park, 79th St, New York, NY 10021
Exhibit 15: Kwan Ho next to the wall; right photo - Jan 6, 2015. The exhibits 14 and 15 proved that I came to the exactly same place of the Exhibits 12 and 13.
Away from stonewall...In contact to stonewall

Exhibit 16: Father and Dr. Lee sitting on a bench in Belvedere Castle - 1923)
tumblr_ptz78aV5g01y8jhw4o1_640.jpg

Exhibit 17: The same spot as Exhibit 15 with a different friend -1923)
tumblr_ptz7qj34oc1y8jhw4o1_640.jpg

Exhibit 18: Belvedere Castle with its tower - Jan 6, 2015; This is the front view.
Belvedere Castle | Central Park Conservancy

Exhibit 19 - 1; Rear View of Castle
Belvedere Castle - New York Central Park - YouTube

Exhibit 19 - 2 Counter light View

The configuration of the main building and the tower is reversed against that of the original photos 16 and 17 since these photos were taken from the north of the building while the old photos from the south.

Exhibit 20: Korean Methodist Church an/>d Institute - Sep 8, 2014
eKXT-SCd-acBOTm3lRCMuQPVfOxyE1TFgAfnLHsx

I found the address of my father from the old record of Williston Seminary as 633 West 115th Street, New York, NY when I had communicated with the Williston Academy around 1969. When I visited this place in 1971 and found the Korean Church there. I just found the place and left without seeing the minister. Last year on Monday September 8, 2014 I visited there to see the minister, and the door was locked. This year in 2015 on January 6, I was able to meet Minister Yong Bok Lee and learned a lot of facts regarding this Church.
Most surprising was the finding of my father’s name in the old registry book of church members listed as a Baptist. I call this church my third discovery following the library and Belvedere Castle

Exhibit 21: The total view of the building - Sep 8, 2014
gphVarkkR7KzMrGb92zLNzNeVAZH4jff3U29r7vH

Inside the chapel, I read an inscription of “I sat at the riverside and cried” which made me remember what my father had said a long time ago that he and his uncle, Jewhan Chung, had hugged each other and cried all day long in the their room after hearing and reading the sad news of Japanese Annexation of Korea in 1910.
Those words on the inscription reminded me of my father’s old sayings and saddened me deeply for those Koreans living in America in those days, who had beaten their chests and wailed bitterly while sitting on the slope of Hudson River.
We, current Korean descendants, should never, ever forget this national disgrace as long as we live in our sacred fatherland.

Exhibit 22: Father's address during his Wharton School days

3911 Pine Street, Philadelphia, PA found in the yearbook of University of Pennsylvania. From the Recent Street View of Google Maps.

Exhibit 23: Father during his school days; left photo ㅡ Date unknown
Exhibit 24: My father and granduncle during his school days; right photo ㅡ Date unknown
reIdVLuY51PvX0RjJj8G_N0lKwbIN3q8i4bgxIMdcHanwyfTp6hGf3DtXog6_UcapfiYUfsXqdtyaPZB

Name: 정지환(鄭芝煥). Jewhan Chung was the younger brother of my grandfather. Father studied at Williston from 1909 to 1913, while granduncle there from 1906 to 1910. Grand uncle was born on August 16, 1879 and died on July 24, 1916. No children. Since both of them lived together more than 10 years in this remote part of the world faraway from Korea, their pictures are placed side by side.

Exhibit 25: Penn Photo on February 16, 2015
a52usQdXlLCo4zMqv0GsaKk5Vx4B4l5k43NgV7FJ

Henry on the right and Connor on the left posing in front of the Statue of Benjamin Franklin, College Hall. Henry is one of Penn's graduates and Connor is interested in this school with our family connection.
This statue of Benjamin Franklin donated by Justus C. Strawbridge to the City of Philadelphia in 1899 now sits in front of College Hall. I think during my father’s Wharton School days, he must have seen this statue.
During my elementary school days, I remember having seen an old photo of the military drills arranged with some artillery in a large campus of father’s college.
When we returned home from our three years’ refuge life, the valuable photo was gone, since the house had remained vacant during the Korean War. It must have been the campus of University of Pennsylvania. Consequently I am not left with any photo of father's college days, which is a great loss.

I Personal Information

Name : Jaone Chung [정재원 鄭載謜]
Pen Name(雅號) : 淡齋(담재)
Place of Birth: Jinju, Gyeongsangnam-do, Korea
Date of Birth : September 18, 1893.
Date of Death : February 20, 1954

II Father in the United States of America

When father was about ten years old, grandfather made arrangements with two persons having the background of western education so that one person took him from Seoul to Tokyo, Japan, and there he was admitted to an Institute called Blue Mountain Foreign Language School (靑山外國語學院) where he studied English for a year while staying in one American family having children and learning spoken English from them while playing together.

A year later in 1903, another person as his guardian arranged the trip to the West Coast of America for my father via one of trans-pacific ocean liners which took about 30 days for one way navigation.
I believe that they arrived at the San Francisco Harbor and from there went to New York City by the transcontinental railroad.
My father took an entrance examination at an elementary school without success because of his failure of English test. He was given another chance of English test in 6 months, during which time he studied very hard and then succeeded in entering the school.
Unfortunately I don't have any information on this school, possibly a church school in NYC.
I might add that this second person who arranged my father's travel to America was Gyushik Kim[김규식 (金奎植)], an eminent Korean patriot in those days.
I also heard that his uncle, Jewhan Chung, accompanied him to America to stay with him as his guardian. He also had his own American education at Williston and Colorado School of Mines.

Several years later he was admitted to the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, and finished his freshman course there before he went back to Korea on a temporary basis, since he had experienced financial hardships due to difficulties of money transfer from Korea to America. In those days there was no international system of money transfer.
So money transfer was privately arranged through missionary organizations or American churches. But the exchange and remittance of money were done neither timely nor reliably.
Consequently father couldn't receive much-needed money timely, so that there were times of financial deprivation rather frequently though my grandfather did send sufficient amounts of money through the designated organization.

So he made up his mind to discuss this problem with my grandfather for better means of money transfer from Korea to America and so went to Korea in 1914 after he finished his freshman course, and with his plan of prompt return to America once the problem was taken care of to continue his undergraduate study.
It happened that just before his pre-planned boarding at the liner, the first world war broke out, which was promptly followed by the global naval blockade. There were no means for him to come back to the school for any foreseeable future. So he settled at home in Seoul, married my mother and took care of the family business.

In the year of 1925 he returned to America and tried to continue his study at the Wharton School. But it was not successful because of the financial problems. He couldn't even find his personal belongings since his American friend, to whom the belongings had been entrusted, was drafted to the U. S. Army and killed in the European front during the War.

Following are some anecdotes from my mother on father's school days in America.

Episode 1 Shortly after his arrival at the United States, the first flight of the Wright brothers succeeded. How sensational that news could be! That proves the time of his arrival at the United States to be the year of 1903.

Episode 2 In hot summer evenings old men were sitting on their chairs in the streets, and talking about their experiences of the civil war. They were very frightened.

Episode 3 In a small rural town of northwestern Massachusetts, an oriental student came to study in the seminary, an all-boy boarding school. Many students in the class tried to tease him, which led to physical fights, which became daily routines after the school hours.
Father sustained facial bruises, swellings, bleedings, and discolorations just about every day. At first the class teacher tried to intervene with these tussles, but not with much success, and so left things as they were.
It was normal for father to come to the class in the morning with bruise marks on his face, but once in awhile, he had his clean face without bruises, then the teacher pretended to be surprised, and singled him out to ask how he managed to keep his face intact.
So there were almost daily fights for a year. At the end of the first year, the devils said, "That's enough. No more hassles, no more fights." Afterwards came peace to all of them and they became very good friends.

Episode 4 Father would have boils on his nape frequently, which was noticed by his teacher, who said to him, "Jaone, watch the back of your neck." Then the classmates tried to give hard times to him. These naughty students told him, "Teacher told you to look at the back of your head. Show me how you can look at that." Obviously the teacher meant father to care for the back of neck, but these naughty devils would never leave him in peace, just trying to make fun of him.

Episode 5 The freezing inexpensive dorm
This northwestern Massachusetts town had a very cold winter. The inexpensive dorm where father lived had no luxury system of cold and hot water, but only cold water all year round.
The wash room was in the first floor, and father stayed in the second floor. So on a cold winter morning he washed his face and head with freezing cold water, and then rushed upstairs. By the time of his reaching the dorm room door, his face and hairs were literally frozen, covered with ice. He then moved his frozen face and head to the stove with burning woods inside, then in a few minutes all the ice melted and he cleaned his wet face and hairs with his towel.

Episode 6 Father's adopted mom in the town.
There was a single, middle-aged woman in the town, one day she said to him that she wanted to adopt him as her son. And he accepted her offer, and so they were adopted mother and son. She originally was a maid to a pastor who had no family. So the pastor adopted her as his daughter, and when he died, she inherited all his property and assets. She never married, living as a single, wealthy woman.
One day a woman in the town came to father and said, "I wanted to come to see you and say to you that your country people, Koreans and my ancestors, the Huns, were all neighbors a long time ago. I am so glad to see you.”

Episode 7 Friendship with Mr. Heegyeong Lee
There was Korean Association in New York City at that time, but unfortunately it was split into two divisions, one for South Koreans, and the other for North Koreans.
My father and Mr. Heegyeong Lee [이희경(李喜儆)] became sworn brothers. My father was from a southern province of Korea, and Mr. Lee from a northern province. So both of them were not accepted to either south or north Korean division. Divisive Koreans were very factional even during these hard times.
Next I will explain my efforts to find my father's records.

III My search of father's school records

I knew father had studied at the University of Pennsylvania though he never graduated there, so in 1969 while I was working as a medical resident at the Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia, I went to the Alumni Association of the school to ask for his record.
The staff there sent two persons with me to the Archives to search for father's school record. It took them quite a while before his freshman record of 1913-1914 was found.
Since 1914 was the year he came to Korea but didn't continue his study at the school because of World War I, it was clear that his freshman course was the end of his education.
From this record, I found his former school to be Williston Seminary.
After further inquiry it was found to be Williston Academy, Easthampton, MA.
I wanted to visit this Academy soon, but I was unable to find time for my visit until 1979, when my wife's niece needed a lift to the Smith College, Northampton, MA by car.
The college was located very near to Easthampton, MA, so I dropped her at the College and I took my family to the Williston Academy, where I met the Alumni President, and showed father's old class photo showing the main entrance of Williston Seminary in the year of 1913. He made a copy of this photo and gave me a couple old photocopies of my father during his school years.

He explained to me that the old Williston Seminary building was replaced by the new school building, but the main entrance of the old school still remained as the entrance of the town library, which could be seen on the left side of the Park Street in the northbound lane just before merging into the Main Street. He also suggested to me that my two boys might apply to this school when they reach the high school ages, kindly advised me to write in the parents' section of the school application form my father's education and our conversation about this topic on that day. This was my first visit to the school. It was the end of August 1979 the day before the College opening.

Years later in the summer vacation of 1985, I took my son, Henry, to Dartmouth College for his college interview after the eleventh grade, and then to the Brown University as the next stop. On this route I detoured slightly toward the Williston Academy to get father's four-years school record and then went to the nearby library.
We opened the same door in front of which my father had taken the class photo exactly 72 years ago, and then entered the library. I saw the windows open widely and three or four old men reading newspapers or journals.

We walked directly to a middle-aged lady librarian in the left side, greeted her, and showed my important photo to her, and ask her, "Ma'am, can you recognize this photo?". As soon as she took a look at this photo, she appeared quite surprised, ”Ah! This is the old Williston School photo. It was taken in the year of 1913, before I was born. The door in this photo is the same door both of you just entered."

At this time I pointed at my father in the photo, saying to her, "This is my father, and this boy is my son. We decided to visit this place with this door seen in the old photo." She appeared very moved, ”I have been living in this town all my life, and once in awhile some Willistonians' children like you visited the school to commemorate their parents or grandparents. It's so nice to have you. If you have time, may I bring some old Williston Seminary photos?" Then she went downstairs and returned a little later carrying a large box containing many old photos of the old Williston Seminary. They were really very old photos, which I couldn't recognize anything by myself, but she tried hard to explain them to us.

My father would have been delighted just by seeing these old days' scenes of the school. These would have brought the fond and precious memories of his young days at the Williston.
Finally our departure time came, but I had an important request to her, “I want to have photos taken in front of this memorable door with my son. Could you take our photo?" She readily consented.

Two of us stood in front of this very door which was closed by her for the photo taking, and then she walked down the stairs to the two-way Park Street while holding my camera with her right hand and lifting her left hand to stop the both-way traffics.
Then she was taking pictures in close as well as remote ranges by moving forward and backward in the rather busy street, but only concentrating on her photo-taking and ignoring the bi-directional lines of cars until she finished the photo taking.
She then handed the camera back to me and I deeply thanked her for her help, and left the library.

After my retirement I have been living in the quiet rural lakefront house. I wondered about revisiting the Williston School in a leisurely way whenever I had a chance to go to the New England area.

Last year after our month-long trip to Korea, I had an e-mail message from Lillian, my daughter-in-law, suggesting to me of the centennial commemoration of my father's class photo, which aroused me of its being one hundred year old event.

We decided to get together at Jim's place in Manhattan, New York and to visit for our family memorial. So Henry and Connor, my grandson, and I met at Jim's apartment at Manhattan, New York and four of us went to the Williston Northampton School on Saturday August 31, 2013.
I had made an appointment with Mr. Jeffrey Pilgrim, Director of Alumni Relations to meet at the school campus between 12 noon and 1 pm.
. He gave us the campus tour spending a good hour's time and at the end all of us walked to the same library called Emily Williston Memorial Library nowadays. Mr. Pilgrim took pictures on all of us. I made a donation to the school in memory of my father. This was my third visit. At the time of departure, I wondered it might be my last visit here and felt a little sad.
But in the mid-June this year of 2014, we made a New England tour to visit the Walden Pond, Concord, MA, abd Bar Harbor, ME. On our very long return drive from Bar Harbor to Canandaigua, New York. I decided to make an overnight stay at Clarion Hotel, Northampton, MA. The next morning, we went to the Alumni office and then the same Library, where my wife and I had our picture taken in front of the same entrance
. On this visit I found some more information of my granduncle, Jewhan Chung, the third younger brother of my grandfather, in conjunction with Williston Seminary. He was sent along with my father to America by my grandfather to be the guardian of my father during his stay in America, and he himself had his own education at Williston Seminary (1906~1910) and Colorado School of Mines (1910~1914). This means that he and my father studied at the school together from 1909 to 1910. This information indicates that Williston School offered the good American high school education to my father and my granduncle, which means a special relationship to my family as a historic family school.

IV Search of two locations in the old photos in America

I still had some more questions on following locations.
(1) The building 633 W. 115th St, New York, NY seen in Exhibit 20 and 21.
In 1971 while I was working at Bronx-Lebanon Hospital, Bronx, NY, I went to the above address which I had obtained from Williston Seminary record in 1969, and found Korean Methodist Church and Institute. I only saw an old Korean man cleaning the entrance and then left after confirming the location. I never heard from father that it was a church though he talked about his having been baptized by Rev. Syngman Rhee [이승만(李承晩)] who also rented a smaller room to prepare his dissertation paper for his Doctorate degree at Princeton University while father and his uncle rented a larger room.
Rev. Rhee was in the middle age while father was around in his late teens. Mr. Rhee and father were quite close and even exchanged jokes freely. They shared the same building for 6 months.

Another story was that Japan annexed Korea in the year of 1910.
At this sad news, the nephew and uncle held each other in a hug, lamented and cried all day long, which must have happened in the same place.

My questions are: Who owned the building at that time from 1909 to 1914: and how these Koreans, at least three or possibly more, found this place to rent, and when the Korean Church was started there.

On Mon Sep 8, 2014, I visited the Church around 10:00 AM for the second time, but the door was locked and the ringing bell was not answered. Therefore I took a couple photos of the entrance and left.
My next stop was New York Historical Society, where I was led to the Library. I brought these questions to the Library staff, who made special search for this address and then found following information out of old reports of New York Times.
First; on Aug 19, 1929, Rev. Pyeong K Yoon made sermon attacking Japanese occupation of Korea. Second; a week later he wished to establish world-wide peace with incorporation of the best in the Occident and the best in the Orient.
When I made search through Wikipedia with the Korean Methodist and Institute, there was a story of celebration of March 1 Movement on Apr 28, 1921 at Madison Avenue Methodist Church by Korean residents and students. In 1927 Church was moved to the current location, the building was small with 4 stories high, about 25 by 100 feet, but it was an intellectual church with strong ties to Korean Independence movement. Two photos are posted at Exhibit 20 and 21.

I made the third visit to the Church on Tue Jan 6, 2015 to see Rev. Yong Bo Lee.
I told him the above story of my father’s connection to this building. Rev. Lee told me that this building had been dormitories for students, and so for some reasons Korean students and some other Koreans rented the rooms at that time.
He did know that Mr. Syngman Rhee had been there. He brought an old thick register book of church members and found father’s name with one line note as following:
“정재원”: 서울출신, N.Y.U.에서 상과전공, 세례교인, 귀국.“
[In English: Jaone Chung born in Seoul, studied business in NYU, a baptist, returned to Korea.] I requested following corrections and addition, which he made: N.Y.U.에서 상과전공 to “펜실베니아 상과대학”, 세례교인
[Correction: From NYU to Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. Baptist.]
followed by “이승만박사가 세례함”, “Jan 6, 2015 방문 오후 1:59분. 정관호 (막내아들)”
[Dr. Syngman Rhee baptized Jaone Chung according to Kwan Ho Chung, his son, 01/06/15] is added to this line. At this point I realized there was my family-connection to this Church. Afterwards he took me to the top fourth floor to show me a unit of common bathroom shower room, a large room with a fireplace, a small room, and an office-like space. We came down to the first floor which showed the chapel. I appreciated greatly to Reverend Lee and left.

(2) Two photos of low stone wall and another two photos of a Castle, Exhibit 12, 13, 16 and 17
I had visited the New York Historical Society, 170 Central Park West, New York, NY 10024 on Sep 9, 2014 to make the inquiry on Exhibit 12 and 13 which had no helpful landmarks with much clue as to the location of the photos.
But on my second visit there I carried two more photos Exhibit 16 and 17 with a building complex in some distant location. I visited the Historical Society in the morning of Jan 6, 2015 and was led to a consultant there, who readily recognized them being the famous Belvedere Castle in Central Park, which was within a walking distance from the Society.
I walked there while it was snowing gradually heavily, arrived at the Main Building of the Castle, and took some pictures outside the main building, and then went to the gift shop to buy a book, and then showed the photos to an employee, who confirmed the location being in the castle territory.
I took photos in the same location of Exhibit 12 and 13, to prove the identity of the stone wall in the photos. However it was snowing heavily so that I decided to hold my search of the location of Exhibit 16 and 17, preferably to a milder season. I didn’t anticipate any difficulty to find the exact locality of the photos with these landmarks.

V Summary

My father made a very, very long march to the United States of America around 1903 aboard a trans-pacific ocean liner from Tokyo Harbor to San Francisco Harbor with the dream of American education.
For the first six years he must have attended an elementary school, but I couldn't find the school from any school records of his.
From 1909 to 1913 he studied at the Williston Seminary, Easthampton, Massachusetts.
From 1913 to 1914 he finished his freshman course at the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania.
When he made some satisfactory agreement with grandfather as to a better way of money transfer and tried to return to America to continue his study, the First World War broke out and there was the global naval blockade, which made his return impossible. So his educational plan was unexpectedly stopped, and he settled his life in Korea.

VI The Legacy

When I first visited the Williston Academy, Henry was eleven years old, and James eight years old. When I asked the president of alumni association if it was a boarding school, he said yes to me.
He looked at my sons inside the car and suggested to me that, if I consider sending them to the Williston School when they grow to that age, I write the history of my father's education at the Williston and our discussion occurred today in the parents' section of the application form.
Since that time I and my wife were very interested in the education of boarding schools and Ivy League schools. We did send them to the schools as we wanted and planned.
The excellent education provided to them was due to the knowledge that my father had gone through very unusual hardships to have good American education such a long time ago. The good education for my sons was resulted from the very legacy of my father.
The following is another story of my father.

When I was in a lower grade of an elementary school, I was not a very excellent student.
But occasionally I brought home my perfect score meaning 100 point, usually math tests.
While I expected a great praise from father, he nodded his head approvingly, but said to me gently, "Choonho, it's good for you to have 100 point, but it's even better to have 80 point." Choonho was my nickname during childhood days. I remember hearing this remark quite a few times from him. I was very young and didn't dare ask him why it's better to have 80 point than 100 point. But I remember this talk very vividly. When I grew up and became an adult, I still didn't understand the reason.

Sometimes I asked some people about this question, but none of them seems to have satisfactory answers to it.
During the time of my active practice, after I finished my ward round in a hospital and went to the nursing station to write the usual notes including the progress notes and Doctor’s orders, then the charts were handed to the charge nurse.
That means I finished my hospital round. At that time the kind nurses offered to me like ”Want some hot coffee?" I never refused, "Yes, please." While drinking good smelling coffee, we exchanged some chats.
One day I thought about my age-old question to several nurses there. Then a middle-aged nurse called Mary replied immediately without any hesitation,
“Don't you know, Dr. Chung? Your father wanted you to be an all-American boy with a well-rounded personality. He didn't want you just to be a so-called bookworm!"
This solved the mystery intriguing me for half of my life. My father wanted me to be a good person rather than a big shot.
This is the most important legacy of my father.

I have one more memory related to religion. I heard from father that he had been baptized by Rev. Syngman Rhee during his school days, and in January 6, 2015 I discovered his name in the registry book in Korean Methodist Church and Institute.
He used to quote God at times. I have always been a Buddhist all my life ever since my mother took me to the Buddhist temples soon after my birth.
This is the situation of our family religion. One day during my middle school days, father mentioned to me, “All the religions in the world are good. You may choose the religion of your choice and believe it sincerely. Then it will be a very good thing to you.” Obviously he was liberal in terms of religious preference. I conveyed this good message to my two daughter-in-laws.” This may be the third legacy.

VII Father’s Later Years
I am going to finish this presentation by describing his later years.
Soon after his return to Korea in 1914, he married my mother, and took charge of the family business. He also made many friends including literary persons, activists, primarily anti-Japanese patriots.
He was the first English teacher in YMCA.
He also tried export business with China for several times, which was not successful.
In those days anti-Japanese persons had hard times because of persecution from Japanese government. Inevitably his family business was doomed to total failure with total loss of his assets.
Finally he lost all his assets, business and job, and the great family wealth from my great grandfather days were all gone, even before I was born.
That means I was destined to go through poverty from the time of his death to the day of my college graduation.
After Korean liberation from Japanese occupation, he was expected to enter the new Korean government, but he decided against it because of ideological disagreements with other people in the new Korean government.
He worked for some private companies at various times without sufficient income.
During the period of Korean War he had to keep working despite his advancing age and declining health. He expired at Daegu City Hospital due to chronic illnesses in 1954, and was buried at our family gravesite in Bansung, Gyeongnam.

Sometime ago while writing a book of family story for my sons in English, Merry Ewing who was an English teacher helping me write the story, asked me whether father was an intellectual.
I answered, “No. He was not an intellectual, but a person of principle.”

THE END

KWAN HO CHUNG - February 6, 2015
No. Subject Date Author Last Update Views
Notice How to write your comments onto a webpage [2] 2016.07.06 운영자 2016.11.20 17770
Notice How to Upload Pictures in webpages 2016.07.06 운영자 2018.10.19 31853
Notice How to use Rich Text Editor [3] 2016.06.28 운영자 2018.10.19 5496
Notice How to Write a Webpage 2016.06.28 운영자 2020.12.23 43427
512 Trump or Donald, not the president [1] 2022.07.16 운영자 2022.07.16 75
511 Trump at the end of the rope [4] 2022.07.16 운영자 2022.07.16 498
510 타이거 우즈의 눈물 [2] 2022.07.17 황규정*65 2022.07.17 65
509 Believe it or Not - 경제, 군사 "패권"이 한국으로?? [3] 2022.07.17 운영자 2022.07.17 98
508 트럼프와 김정은 문재인 왕따 [10] 2022.07.13 온기철*71 2022.07.19 93
507 責索頭 金笠 (책색두 김립): 번오기를 꾸짖은 형가 김삿갓시 [5] 2019.10.29 정관호*63 2022.07.20 217
506 Disney Mulan: 木蘭辭(목란사) [4] 2020.08.29 정관호*63 2022.07.20 201
505 Postmortem Sperm Retrieval Is Turning Dead Men Into Fathers [1] 2022.07.20 운영자 2022.07.20 293
504 AGT: Korean Singer Group "Maytree" [2] 2022.07.20 온기철*71 2022.07.20 70
503 My story of the MODERN [4] 2021.07.22 정관호*63 2022.07.21 74
502 우상혁, 높이뛰기 새 역사 썼다… 한국 최초 세계선수권 은메달 [5] 2022.07.19 황규정*65 2022.07.22 81
501 안산·김우진, 4차 양궁월드컵서 개인·단체 2관왕 [1] 2022.07.25 황규정*65 2022.07.25 40
500 광주와 미국 [1] 2022.07.25 온기철*71 2022.07.25 63
499 Liz Cheney Closing Remarks on 01/06 Hearing [2] 2022.07.21 온기철*71 2022.07.25 81
498 The Suez Crisis; How America became a superpower [2] 2022.07.22 온기철*71 2022.07.25 63
497 New Korean War Memorial to be open in DC mall [1] 2022.07.24 온기철*71 2022.07.27 70
496 한국의 대안우파; Make South Korea Great Again [2] 2022.07.28 온기철*71 2022.07.28 77
495 폴란드 한국산 무기 대거 구입 [7] 2022.07.28 온기철*71 2022.07.30 93
494 Why is Korean War called the forgotten war? [6] 2022.07.27 온기철*71 2022.08.03 58
» My Father's Footsteps in America I [1] 2017.10.19 정관호*63 2022.08.04 425