logo

English

Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep Photograph by Barbara Griffin   Do not Stand at My Grave and Weep: Clare Harner

Do not stand
At my grave, and weep.

I am not there,
I do not sleep—

I am the thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glints in snow

I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle, autumn rain.

As you awake with morning’s hush,
I am the swift, up-flinging rush

Of quiet birds in circling flight,
I am the day transcending night.

Do not stand
By my grave, and cry—

I am not there,
I did not die.

Summary and Analysis

The poem on a gravestone at St Peter’s church, Wapley, England "Do not stand at my grave and weep" is the first line and popular title of a bereavement poem of disputed authorship.
The poem was popularized during the late 1970s thanks to a reading by John Wayne that inspired further readings on television. During the late 1990s, Mary Elizabeth Frye claimed to have written the poem in 1932.
This was purportedly confirmed in 1998 research conducted for the newspaper column "Dear Abby" (Pauline Phillips).
However, the Oxford journal "Notes and Queries" published a 2018 article claiming the poem, originally titled "Immortality", was in fact written by Clare Harner Lyon (1909-1977) and first published under her maiden name (Harner) in the December 1934 issue of The Gypsy poetry magazine.

Original version

Below is the version published in The Gypsy of December 1934 (page 16), under the title "Immortality" and followed by the author's name and location: "CLARE HARNER, Topeka, Kan." The indentation and line breaks are as given there.

Immortality

Do not stand
By my grave, and weep.

I am not there,
I do not sleep—

I am the thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glints in snow

I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle, autumn rain.

As you awake with morning’s hush,
I am the swift, up-flinging rush

Of quiet birds in circling flight,
I am the day transcending night.

Do not stand
By my grave, and cry—

I am not there,
I did not die.

Other versions

Other versions of the poem appeared later, usually without attribution, such as the one below. Differing words are shown in it by italics.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow;
I am the diamond glints on the snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain;
I am the gentle autumn's rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft star that shines at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there; I did not die.

The Gravestone at St Peter’s church, Wapley, England
File:Gravestone poem, St Peter’s church, Wapley, England arp.jpg

The poem is twelve lines long, rhyming in couplets. Each line is in iambic tetrameter, except for lines five and seven, the fifth having an extra syllable, the seventh, two extra.

Origins

Who was Clare Harner?
Clare Harner - Poems by the Famous Poet - All PoetryKansas native Clare Harner's original poem "Immortality" was reprinted from The Gypsy in the Kansas City Times on 8 February 1935.
Interest surged after the poem was read as a graveside eulogy by actor Harold Gould in the 1979 NBC TV movie Better Late Than Never. In 1981, newspaper columnist Bettelou Peterson identified the author for enquiring readers as "the late Clara Harner Lyon, of California." Later many other claimants to the poem's authorship emerged, including attributions to traditional and Native American origins. TV critic Richard K. Shull first publicized the claim for Mary Elizabeth Frye's authorship in a newspaper column for the Indianapolis News on 9 June 1983.
According to the London Times obituary for the "Baltimore housewife Mary E. Frye," Dear Abby author "Abigail Van Buren" researched the poem's history and concluded in 1998 that Ohio native Mary Elizabeth Frye (November 13, 1905 – September 15, 2004), a self-employed florist and amateur poet, who was living in Baltimore at the time, had written the poem in 1932. In print, however, Dear Abby columns by Pauline Phillips and her daughter Jeanne consistently treated authorship of the poem as an unsolved mystery.
As late as 2004, Jeanne Phillips acknowledged, "I regret that I have never been able to confirm the author." Supposedly Frye had never written any poetry, but the plight of a German Jewish woman, Margaret Schwarzkopf, who was staying with her and her husband, had inspired the poem.
Margaret Schwarzkopf was concerned about her mother, who was ill in Germany, but she had been warned not to return home because of increasing unrest. When her mother died, the heartbroken young woman told Frye that she never had the chance to "stand by my mother's grave and shed a tear". Frye, according to Van Buren's supposed research, found herself composing a piece of verse on a brown paper shopping bag. Later she said that the words "just came to her" and expressed what she felt about life and death.
According to her account, Frye circulated the poem privately, never publishing it. Her obituary in The Times asserted her claim to authorship of the famous poem, which has been recited at funerals and on other appropriate occasions around the world for 60 years.

In popular culture

John Wayne read the poem "from an unspecified source" on December 29, 1977 at the memorial service for film director Howard Hawks. After hearing John Wayne's reading, script writer John Carpenter featured the poem in the 1979 television film Better Late Than Never.
A common reading at funerals and remembrance ceremonies, the poem was introduced to many in the United Kingdom when it was read by the father of a soldier killed by a bomb in Northern Ireland. The soldier's father read the poem on BBC radio in 1995 in remembrance of his son, who had left the poem among his personal effects in an envelope addressed 'To all my loved ones'.
The poem's first four lines are engraved on one of the stones of the Everest Memorial, Chukpi Lhara, in Dhugla Valley, near Everest. Reference to the wind and snow and the general theme of the poem, the absence of the departed, particularly resonate with the loved ones of those who "disappeared" in the mountain range to whom the memorial is dedicated.
It is also reproduced on the gravestone of the actor Charles Bronson. This poem is also used as the lyrics in the song "Still Alive" by D.E.Q. This poem is recited on the episode “Welcome to Kanagawa” of season four of Desperate Housewives.
The poem was adapted for use in the video game World of Warcraft.[15] The last four lines of the poem were recited among others in Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy.
The poem is read by Lisa (Kerry Godliman), the dying wife of lead character Tony (played by Ricky Gervais) in the final episode of the Netflix series After Life.

BBC poll

To coincide with National Poetry Day 1995, the British television programme The Bookworm conducted a poll to discover the nation's favourite poems, and subsequently published the winning poems in book form.
The book's preface stated that "Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep" was "the unexpected poetry success of the year from Bookworm's point of view"; the poem had "provoked an extraordinary response... the requests started coming in almost immediately and over the following weeks the demand rose to a total of some thirty thousand. In some respects it became the nation's favourite poem by proxy... despite it being outside the competition."
This was all the more remarkable, since the name and nationality of the American poet did not become known until several years later. In 2004 The Times wrote: "The verse demonstrated a remarkable power to soothe loss. It became popular, crossing national boundaries for use on bereavement cards and at funerals regardless of race, religion or social status".

Korean Translation

천개의 바람이 되어

내 무덤 앞에서 울지 말아요
나는 그곳에 있지 않고, 잠들어 있지 않아요

나는 천개의 바람되어 불어다니고
나는 눈위에 금강석처럼 반짝이지요.

나는 익어가는 곡식위의 햇볕이에요
나는 부드러운 가을 비에요

당신이 아침 침묵속에서 깨어날 때
재빨리 상승하는 돌진이기도 하지요,

원형의 비상하는 조용한 새들 중에
나는 한밤중에 빛나는 부드러운 별이랍니다.

내 무덤 앞에서 울지를 말아요,
나는 거기에 있지도 않고, 나는 죽지도 않았어요.

千風之歌 : 천의 바람노래
日本語——中國漢語繁體互譯: Japanese - Chinese Traditional Chinese Intertranslation

私のお墓の前で 泣かないでください
請不要佇立在我墳前哭泣

そこに私はいません 眠ってなんかいません
我不在那裡 我沒有沉睡不醒

千の风に千の风になって
化作千縷風 我已化身為千縷微風

あの大きな空を 吹きわたっています
翱翔在無限寬廣的天空裡

秋には光になって 畑にふりそそぐ
秋天 化作陽光照射在田地裡

冬はダイヤのように きらめく雪になる
冬天 化身作白雪綻放鑽石般的光芒

朝は鸟になって あなたを目覚めさせる
朝陽升起時 幻化為飛鳥輕聲呼喚你

夜は星になって あなたを见守る
夜幕低垂時 幻化為星辰溫柔守護你

私のお墓の前で 泣かないでください
請不要佇立在我墳前哭泣

そこに私はいません 死んでなんかいません
我不在那裡 我沒有離開這裡

千の风に 千の风になって
化作千風 我已化身為千縷微風

あの大きな空を 吹きわたっています
翱翔在無限寬廣的天空裡

千の风に 千の风になって
化作千風 我已化身為千縷微風

あの大きな空を 吹きわたっています
翱翔在無限寬廣的天空裡

あの大きな空を 吹きわたっています
翱翔在無限寬廣的天空裡…… ……

Immortality image
A Thousand Winds | Art, World art, Photo

Bee Gees - Immortality (Live in Las Vegas, 1997

Céline Dion - Immortality (Official Video) ft. Bee Gees - YouTube

Immortality Celine Dion

So this is who I am
And this is all I know
And I must choose to live

For all that I can give
The spark that makes the power grow
And I will stand for my dream if I can

Symbol of my faith in who I am
But you are my only
And I must follow on the road, that lies ahead
And I won't let my heart control my head

But you are my only
And we don't say goodbye
We don't say goodbye

And I know what I've got to be
Immortality

I make my journey through eternity
I keep the memory of you and me
Inside

Fulfill your destiny
Is there within the child

My storm will never end
My fate is on the wind

The king of hearts, the joker's wild
We don't say goodbye
We don't say goodbye

I'll make them all remember me
'Cause I have found a dream that must come true

Every ounce of me must see it through

But you are my only
I'm sorry I don't have a role for love to play

Hand over my heart I'll find my way
I will make them give to me
Immortality

There is a vision and a fire in me
I keep the memory of you and me, inside
And we don't say goodbye

We don't say goodbye
With all my love for you

And what else we may do
We don't say, goodbye

Celine Dion - Immortality (Lyrics) Youtube - Kelsey Straeten

千の風になって - 秋川雅史

化為千風 (千風之歌)

Kwan Ho Chung - March 5, 2022
/
No. Subject Date Author Last Update Views
Notice How to write your comments onto a webpage [2] 2016.07.06 운영자 2016.11.20 17768
Notice How to Upload Pictures in webpages 2016.07.06 운영자 2018.10.19 31851
Notice How to use Rich Text Editor [3] 2016.06.28 운영자 2018.10.19 5494
Notice How to Write a Webpage 2016.06.28 운영자 2020.12.23 43427
8732 Georgia will take care of Trump for us? [1] 2023.08.16 운영자 2023.08.16 36
8731 America has no hope if it fails to convict Donald Trump [4] 2023.08.14 온기철*71 2023.08.16 214
8730 진종오·김연경 제쳤다…박인비, IOC 선수위원 한국 후보로 낙점 [5] 2023.08.14 황규정*65 2023.09.14 84
8729 손흥민, 토트넘 주장 됐다 [2] 2023.08.12 황규정*65 2023.08.13 50
8728 Donald Trump & Clarence Thomas. Is this our homeland? [1] 2023.08.11 운영자 2023.08.11 47
8727 長樂少年行: 장락소년행 [1] 2023.08.10 정관호*63 2023.08.12 54
8726 Nuclear Bombs and Oppenheimer [1] 2023.08.08 온기철*71 2023.08.09 49
8725 자동차 수출 세계 1위는 중국 2023.08.07 온기철*71 2023.08.07 106
8724 북한은 어떻게 돈을 벌까? [1] 2023.08.05 온기철*71 2023.08.06 52
8723 새만금 잠보리 대회; 한국의 수치 [5] 2023.08.04 온기철*71 2023.08.09 99
8722 김구의 김립암살사건 [1] 2023.08.03 온기철*71 2023.08.05 71
8721 George Washington Bridge North Walk has opened [1] file 2023.08.02 정관호*63 2023.09.14 64
8720 Korean History through YouTube [1] 2023.08.02 운영자 2023.08.02 68
8719 曲池荷(곡지하): 곡지의 연꽃 [1] 2023.08.01 정관호*63 2023.08.02 180
8718 Donald Trump Just Stepped on a Legal Landmine [1] 2023.07.31 운영자 2023.08.01 64
8717 For the U.S., it is "안녕 한국!" [1] 2023.07.31 운영자 2023.08.01 77
8716 Hair-raising story of Trump indictment 2023.07.30 운영자 2023.07.30 70
8715 홀로저성장 한국, 어떻게 해야할까? [8] 2023.07.29 온기철*71 2023.08.03 73
8714 이야기로 듣는 옛노래: 황성 옛터 [3] 2023.07.26 정관호*63 2024.01.14 92
8713 황선우, 세계선수권 자유형 200m 銅...한국 수영 첫 2연속 메달 [1] 2023.07.25 황규정*65 2023.07.25 39